Who Is Attending Nceca This Year? (Spring 2016)

curt

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that I have mostly retired, I plan on going as long as it does not cut into my recliner time. KC is only 3.5 hours from me, would enjoy meeting some of my fellow OCD  (occupational ceramic diversions) artists. Need to contact Glenn as well, would like to hear his thoughts on clay formulation.

Glaze Nerd

Guest JBaymore

Glazenerd,

Both Michael Katz and (in particular) William Carty will be presenters at this NCECA conference.  I would venture to guess that those will be sessions that you would be VERY interested in.

best,

.............john

Ty Marcia and John- most helpful.

As it turns out my supplier already has booth space reserved. Looking forward to meeting people, been working and studying on my own for the last five years. "here on Glazeland island: --- which only means something to the children of the sixties.

GlazeNerd

Guest JBaymore

By request, I have "pinned" this topic to the top of the forum section so that it will remain there until NCECA happens.  I also added a date to the title line to make sure it is not confusing.

best,

.................john

Guest JBaymore

Hoping more potters fit in a lecture hall than last year in Providence.

It is SO hard for the NCECA folks to out-guess the attendance at the various offerings.  (Without going to a pre-registration system... which would be a nightmare!)

At the "teabowl" lecture I did at the Providence NCECA, I had people standing along the back and in the doorway. Who could have guessed that (in America) 800+ people cared enough about the hair-splitting differences between generic "teabowls" and Chawan for actual Tea Ceremony????  I know it surprised me at the level of attendance.

I've been in other presentations that I thought, because of the topic, would have lots of people, and the 750 seat halls had maybne 100 people in it.

I don't think there is a way to solve that issue that works.  Other than if a particular presentation is really important to someone.... show up very early.

best,

....................john

Hi John, thanks. I know the logistics must be a nightmare and no there is no easy answer. Also great to hear your lecture was standing room only! I did write to Cynthia. It was just very frustrating when you could only stand in the hall and have the Fire Marshall move you along, repeatedly. To show up 15-30 minutes early and not get in the entire first day and partial second day was not good. The other lecture I ran to; Where to find potassium for glazes. Was cancelled. It worked out because several others were standing there and it started up a pretty good conversation in the hall. Ended up at Chris Gustins studio and gallery and that was great. So not always what you think you're going to get but have never walked away from Nceca without great information, gifts and pots! Looking forward to this one too!

John's talk was amazing. If you missed it, shame on you. I was one of the lucky ones sitting at the front.

He's absolutely right about it being so hard to predict how many people will be attracted to specific lectures and panels.

BTW: Don't miss ClayStories 2016!!!!! http://www.claystories.org/ (Shameless self promotion!)

best to all,

Steven

Met TJR at John's lecture. . . much more than a talk to me. I enjoyed every minute of it. Presentation was relaxed and informative, professional yet personal, and in the end I learned a lot about Chowan and Japanese tea bowls.

best,

PRes

Archived