Changing Kiln Elements

jpc

Good day. I am going to try to change the elements in my L and L Jupiter kiln. I have just watched some instructions on You Tube and it looks fairly simple. The question is what do I do with the small tiles that hold the elements in place that have fallen off? The elements have expanded and pushed some of them off or visa versa. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Good day. I am going to try to change the elements in my L and L Jupiter kiln. I have just watched some instructions on You Tube and it looks fairly simple. The question is what do I do with the small tiles that hold the elements in place that have fallen off? The elements have expanded and pushed some of them off or visa versa. Any suggestions? Thank you!

I have seen element holders broken and some time missing on older L&L kilns the elements than sag and are hard to get out to replace.  I would think the only thing to do is to replace the holders, but this may mean getting the brick out to slip in the holder?

David

Yes, those are broken element holders.  Like Neil said, you can replace them without dismantling your kiln and the instructions are on the L&L site.  If you don't want to go that route, you can pin the elements in the areas with no holders.  I have an old Econo-Kiln K230 that had a couple of broken holders when I received it.  It had the "tiles" (the broken front piece of the element holder) in the bottom of the kiln like yours, and I just put them back and pinned them in place to hold the elements securely.  I think either way will work satisfactorily.

Good luck,

Rob

Those element holders were cracked due to getting hit by a shelf, they were not pushed out by the elements. As long as you're replacing elements, I would go ahead and replace the holders by removing the bricks and sliding out the old holder. It's a better repair than replacing them without removing the brick.  That's an old kiln with the old style holder, so talk to L&L and make sure the new holders will fit the same. It's also possible that they have some of the old holders still laying around. 

Thank you! I will do the right repair. I have rarely hit the sides with the shelves and will be more diligent in the future. I have not changed elements or the holders before. Do you think it wise for me to try?

You should change the elements and broken holders otherwise the new elements are going to sag.  Pining them defeats the purpose of having element holders in the first place.  L & L has plenty of information available on line to help you.  To get the bricks out you will have to loosen the kiln jacket.

David

Archived