Shimpo Vs. Peter Pugger

fergusonjeff

I am looking to purchase a pug mill in the near future and could use a little help.  I will be using it mainly for recycling and for wedging bagged clay prior to throwing.  I may also use it for some custom clay additives soon.

I have narrowed it down to two mai choices: The peter pugger VPM-20 and the Shimpo NVS-007.  Both are about the same size and seem to have similar capabilities.  I can get the Peter Pugger for a few hundred less than the Shimpo, which means getting it sooner rather than a few weeks from now.  The Shimpo does have a stainless steel chamber (rather than an extra option for about $500 more for the Peter Pugger).  The Shimpo als seems to have a few nicer stock items such as rolling base and pug cutter and rool-out table. 

Assuming roughly equal prices, how do these stack up.  I have read lots about the reliability and workmanship of the Peter Puggers but have heard less about the Shimpo.  I have talked to a few folks (such as the owner of Peter Pugger and stores that would profit more from one brand over the other) but seem to get very financially-biased opinions. 

Any help thinking this through is appreciated. 

Thanks,

Jeff

I have a Peter Pugger vpm30 for two years I bought t used. I cannot say enough great things about it-no screens easy to use and they are made in Usa for easy service (parts).

I would stay away from imports for parts mainly.

If you use white clays like porcelain get the stainless chamber-no question there as it will not pit.

Mark

Mark,

You point out all the rreasons I am leaning toward the VPM-20.  As for white clay, how inclusive is that?  I throw a little white clay (sold as a cone 6 porcelain), but my understanding is that it takes a true porcelain (with low pH) to cause a problem with the aluminum chamber.  Do all white clays have issues? 

Thanks again for your help.

Jeff

Hi, Jeff,

I know my dad and I are planning to get the pugger with stainless steel chamber due to the pitting issue. I don't use porcelain but he uses some and we figure that we'd rather be able to use the pug mill with any kind of clay without worrying. 

My friend has the Peter Pugger with regular chamber since she doesn't use porcelain and that thing is a workhorse. It took a bit to learn it properly but she has used it to put around a thousand pounds of clay this year and she loves it. 

All true porcelains have the low PH. The VPM 20 is the largest they make with a stainless chamber-my chamber was pitted already from a high school low fire clay when I bought it-my porcelain is not doing it any good as well. Some day It may be an issue but it can be sandblasted our smooth again . I would buy the stainless for cleaning reasons as well as durability reasons. The only drawback is its heavier but I never move my machine.The 500$ will not be an issue in the long run. I did not have the choice of stainless-I paid 3k for mine used from a school back east.I changed out all the O ring seals and put a new pressure gauge on and had the plant check on my auger. I'm only 3 hours away from Ukiah where they make them.The sugar is stainless.I am a stainless and brass person. I Like the more noble metals.

Mark

Before I bought my stainless one I talked with Jim Bailey who said they have started seeing pitting in the aluminum barrels from low fire clay, this meshes with what Mark said about his pugger. Bailey figured it was the newer supply of talc in the low fire talc bodies which was the problem. (in addition to porcelains ph)

not a shimpo, not a peterpugger.  my bailey is now taken apart and waiting for my return next april.  i have been scared all summer because of the things i read here about the pitting problem caused by porcelain.  i used the pugmill in the spring and have not used it since.  added some water sometime in july, i think, into the hopper and into the air thingy and wet the sponge on the rubber cap at the end.  haven't used it since i bought new clay that i like using straight from the box for slabwork.  the pugged clay gets thrown.

anyway, the good news is that there is no pitting. i forgot that it is a stainless model.  the bad part is i am not strong enough to pull the section with the hopper away from the motor area.  got the end part off and found no problems, the clay is a little stiff (wonder why?) but flexible.  once it dries out over the winter, it will come out of the tube easily.  by then there will be some strong man in the neighborhood to pull the hopper section off.  NOBODY home during these 3 days of very cold rain.

driving off tomorrow, will wave as i go by. B)

• 2 years later...

DO NOT GET THE SHIMPO NVS 07.  I have good experience with pug mills.  I bought it and it LEAVES HOLES IN THE LOGS.  See picture.  The tan is new clay out of the bag.  Seriously.  They grey is recycled clay.  The factory says my batches are too wet.  Huh?  The consistency, as seen wrapped around my finger, is perfect.  Now they want to charge me $500 to restock it.  I am fighting it tooth and nail.  Should 

IMG_9049.jpg

IMG_9085.jpg

IMG_9086.jpg

IMG_9012.jpg

IMG_9013.jpg

IMG_9040.jpg

Archived