Shelf Placement In New Kiln.

Babs

Have read a few different ways.

One is that a shelf is placed directly onto the floor of the kiln on which will rest the props for the next shelf and so on. The nextshelf would be placed 2=3" above the floor shelf, nothing is places in that space. and then pack normally.

THe other way is to just place props onto the firebrick of the bottom of the kiln, 2-3" high and then shelf onto these props and so on.

What is best for the longevity of the floor bricks?

My bottom shelf sits on 1/2" kiln posts; stays there as the bottom. The posts allow air to circulate (my vent is mounted on the underneath of the kiln floor). For longevity of floor bricks, use a bottom shelf -- otherwise you could get glaze drips on the floor bricks which would require removal and possible damage to kiln floor bricks.

thanks, not having a floor vent, would a full shelf placed directly on to the bricks be better for the bricks ie the posts would not press down directly into the brick but onto the shelf? Just that in dismantling my old kiln, short posts THEN a shelf, the indentations were considerable, the kiln was an oldie.

Archived