Cleaning Up Bisque For Glazing

Hi everyone

I've just started doing pottery after a very long break and I was delighted to find this group - I was a beginner before so I'm back on the learning curve again!

When I got my small hobby kiln and other boxes out of storage I found some bisque jugs from around 10 years ago which have never been decorated or glazed - they just had their initial firing. They are covered in dust/cobwebs and I'm wondering what is the best way to clean them up so that I can decorate them.

Is it just a case of washing with plain water or is there a better option?

Thanks for any advice. 

Hi Julia! And welcome to the forums! You've found an amazing treasure trove of information, knowledge and great people who are willing and able to help you with whatever problems, dilemmas or crisis you may have!

As to cleaning up the bisque ware, I'd go at them with just a damp cloth. Might help to take them outside and blow the worst of the dust and cobwebs off of them first, however. If you're planning on glazing/decorating them any time soon, it's best not to get them too wet. So, "washing" them is out of the picture, as this might cause problems with adhesion of the glaze to the bisque. ;)

After 10 years, I hope you can remember what cone they were fired at, what type of clay body you used and what glazes were considered a good "fit" to the wares. Good luck and let us know how you fare. And again, WELCOME to the forums! :wub:

Hi Amy

Many thanks for the very warm welcome!  :)

The damp cloth makes sense, I'll give that a go. I have four of them so I can trial one and see how well it cleans up.

I must admit that I have no idea what clay the jugs were made from, firing temperatures, etc. They were made from some commercial slip using a mould, that is as much as I can remember about them. Was a bit of a surprise to even find them in the box!

I guess the best thing to try will be to just experiment using some of the underglazes/glazes I have just purchased (box of goodies arrived yesterday) and see how they turn out. It all feels quite a learning curve at the moment.

The good news is that I did a test firing with my little kiln today and it seems to be working so I'm excited to be able to play.

I tried with a damp cloth but it was not shifting the dust. So I've washed them with water which has got rid all the dust, I'll find somewhere warm to leave them to dry.

Some of them have marks on that are clearly not going to wash off - small scuff marks and some random spots - so that's a good excuse to try some adventurous decoration to hide the faults!

Thanks for the help everyone.  :)

i would feel comfortable firing them again to cone 06 to get rid of any of the last bits of junk.  then fire them using cone 06 glazes and fire to 06.  it sounds like that is what you were doing back then, i really think you would remember if they were stoneware and you mentioned that they were made with a commercial slip.  don't know of any of that which would be more than cone 06.  good luck.

i would feel comfortable firing them again to cone 06 to get rid of any of the last bits of junk.  then fire them using cone 06 glazes and fire to 06.  it sounds like that is what you were doing back then, i really think you would remember if they were stoneware and you mentioned that they were made with a commercial slip.  don't know of any of that which would be more than cone 06.  good luck.

I 100% agree that firing to a lower temperature would be wiser and safer.

OldLady, just to share information I do some slip casting with stoneware slip that I fire to cone 5-6. Still I would definitely fire any work in question to a lower temp. :) 

+1 for ^06 firing.  (But I too have stoneware slip, though I think this is not typical.)

Archived