Brent Cxc - Good Investment?

Chloe Marie

Hi y'all, just wanted to do a survey of opinions on wheels! I've been reading a lot of reviews, but everyone has different tastes so I'm still feeling a bit lost. People say good things about the Brent CXC, but I'm still not sure if it is the best investment for me. I've only ever used Brent wheels and kickwheels, so I'm open to suggestions.

I want to buy a wheel before graduation so that I can keep up production right out of school. I will be buying new because the school awarded me a scholarship. Ideally, this wheel will last a very long time and be adaptive to my growth as a potter and as I throw increasingly larger forms. Most of the work I make now is 15 pounds max, and I usually just throw section by section if I make anything bigger. I also might build my own splash pan set up or just forgo one in general because they always seem to be getting in the way.

Pedal precision is very important. I've had problems with some of the Brent Bs at my school and at a studio I worked at because the pedals are finicky and the speed change is awkward, which has ruined many a trimming experience. Is this a common issue with Brents? I know the ones I've encountered have been used by students for many years, so I don't want to judge them solely on past experience.

Thanks much!

Chloe

I have made a living on a CXC for many decades-I bought a model C in 1970 and its still used as well every week.I bought a CXC in the 80's and its used every week almost daily.

I also trimmed on a model B for decades and now trim on a model A as its a smaller footprint.

If I was in your shoes I would get a CXC-they are made to last they will hold thier value as well.If you ever want to sell this wheel it will hold value and you can get a good resale if that time comes. The other thing is Brent is  abrand that will be around for service if thats ever needed as well. They are not in China.

Mark

my favorite wheel is the original Thomas Stewart, it is very good quality and I have had no issues with the speed control or anything else. if you are planning to work with large forms I would recommend getting more horsepower rather than less if you can afford the additional cost. I have two Thomas Stewart wheels one is 1 hp and the other is 1/3 hp, centering a large piece of clay on the 1/3 hp will slow down the wheel head, centering is when you need the power the most, the 1 hp will maintain a steady speed with any pressure you apply making centering easier.

I also have an old Shimpo RK2 i bought 40 years ago that still runs strong.

My home wheels are Brent (a C and a CXC) i use the CXC almost daily. It's an oldie, but i love it.

The studio where i take lessons has TS. The biggest problem i have with the TS is the touchy foot pedals. They are almost too responsive. And the TS wheel does not slow/stop immediately like my home Brent wheels.

The only thing i dislike about the Brent is the 2 piece splash pan. It leaks if i don't empty it soon enough. If the Brent wheel heads popped off like the TS allowing for a larger seamless splash pan they would be perfect IMO.

I use a CXC that I purchased nearly 20 years ago. It won't quit, and won't slow down when I crank on it with a large amount of clay(20-30#) The wheel is noisey, but all in all it is like a fine draft horse works all  day and asks for little-not even hey! I have worked on other wheels Baileys, Creative Industries MP and HP, and Brent C and Brent Motorized kick, and learned on a Randall powered kick. Really loved the Randall for big splash pan and pan head, but once I used a direct drive I was lost until I got my own. 

Guest JBaymore

Still using my CXC that is pushing 35-40 years old (lost exact track).   Solid wheel you'll likely not outgrow.

When I used to work at MassArt... we had lots of C's and CXC's...... lasted well.  Now we have a bunch at the college I teach at.  Solid still.  (We also have some Shimpo Whispers.  Wonderful wheels in teaching studios because of the quiet....... but underpowered as far as torque goes for anything big. To get torque you have to go high revs... which is not great for throwing. )

The foot pedals in schools and such get pretty well abused...and are too rarely serviced as preventive maintenance.  In a private studio... not so much of an issue.

best,

........................john

My home wheels are Brent (a C and a CXC) i use the CXC almost daily. It's an oldie, but i love it.

The studio where i take lessons has TS. The biggest problem i have with the TS is the touchy foot pedals. They are almost too responsive. And the TS wheel does not slow/stop immediately like my home Brent wheels.

The only thing i dislike about the Brent is the 2 piece splash pan. It leaks if i don't empty it soon enough. If the Brent wheel heads popped off like the TS allowing for a larger seamless splash pan they would be perfect IMO.

TS wheels have 6 adjustments in the control board, so touchiness can be easily adjusted. I've got 11 TS wheels, and I find that the 1/3hp can handle just about anything I do on them. My 1/2hp has never slowed down. The huge splash pans will keep your studio much cleaner than a Brent.

Probably I shouldn't be chiming in here, because for 40 years I threw exclusively on a kickwheel.  So I lack expertise, and probably you should ignore my input.  But this year I decided I was getting too old, and after much soul-searching and hair-tearing, I bought a Bailey wheel.  I love it. 

I had planned to get a Brent, because of all the testimonies I've seen to its long life and trouble-free operation, but a couple of kind souls told me that I might get a noisy one.  Well, one reason it took me so long to give up the kickwheel was the lack of noise.

I have to say that the Bailey is very quiet indeed, very smooth, and so far it has been a pure delight.

Also, the folks at Bailey have been a pleasure to deal with.

So the studio I learned in only had Brent CXCs. I also remember I always picked one of the older ones-- the wheel head stopped quickly and adjusted to any new speed as the foot moved. The newer controllers don't seem to do this. :~(

I will also see how a coat of spray paint holds up. The off-yellow color is awful!

Archived