Do You Eat Off Your Own Pots Everyday ?

Unfortunately not.  I do drink out of my own mug once or twice a week at the Scout Campsite where I volunteer.  We also have a pair of "fish-pie" dishes and a sauce bowl and lid that are used monthly/weekly.  Not to forget the butter dish, used in constant rotation with two ex stilton cheese pots!  I do have a soap dish and utensil pot in the bathroom and plant pots everywhere.

I didn't for a long time, although I used my mugs and bowls. Now, my wife and I use pieces that I made, almost exclusively. It is definitely a learning experience and really helps inform my process and functional considerations for each piece. For example, I have a mug of mine that I really love for its hourglass shape and lines. But, it can be a pain to wash out, so I have had to adjust my form some to accommodate an easier cleaning process. 

I also have lots of seconds, which are really fun to have around. It is a constant reminder of where I have come from and what I have tried! 

I use all my pots & have for years. I have a dinner set consisting of demo plates & bowls, all different shapes & sizes, a teapot that didn't come out as well as I would have liked but it works. I guess you could call them a set of 1 of a kind. Some pieces are over 40 yrs. old & a little chipped but I love them all.

I think of my pots as very personal objects so hard to part with.

Joy

Heehee! When I had my own place, the only dishes I had that weren't made by me or former members of my EWU ceramics crew were my dinner plates! ^_^ If there were seconds in my firing that were totally usable (but had glaze flaws or whatnot), I'd usually keep them for personal use. It kind of irks me to use crap Walmart slip-cast ware when, well, let's face it. My worst work destroys the "best" of that stuff! It's more comfy in all ways, heehee. ♥♥♥

We eat off the plates I made every day.  It makes me smile to see them as they are all rather different, uneven, lopsided and colorful. No one would mistake them for store bought or professionally made!  They look great on the open shelves in our log house kitchen.  Very funky!  (Storing odd shaped plates works best in a plate rack where they are stored vertically however!)  I've made a lot of mugs and cups too although I don't use them often because they are a little (okay... a lot... on the heavy size.    So the mugs sit on the shelf, often with plants starting in them, or pencils or other collections in them.   I also use a lot of the serving bowls I have made.  They look very good as long as no  one tries to pick them up as they are rather heavy!  They definitely won't slide off the counter or shelf by themselves!   

We use mostly handmade stuff, some our seconds, a few firsts too precious to sell, and a lot of stuff we've collected over the years.  Our vacations tend to include at least a couple of stops at pottery studios, and pretty much every time something follows me home.

Mugs in particular I prefer to use someone else's; Warren MacKenzie said that using your own work is like shaking hands with yourself, and I find this truest while drinking coffee.

I use my own pottery everyday, I love the feel of it. My bowls and mugs are all different colors and textures, I use them for testing new glazes. I'm always experimenting with colors, shapes and textures. I want to know what works and what doesn't so I use and abuse my own pottery.

We use a teapot from another potter.

I don't think I can ever go back to the stuff from Walmart. My cupboards are a visual and tactile treat.

This is one of my goals. I want to make my own dinner set. It is actually one of my selling points to my wife when I was talking her into allowing me to buy my own wheel and kiln so I suppose I had best get to it. I do drink out of my own coffee mugs though.. and if I used sugar in my coffee I have a great sugar bowl I love.. other than that I am still a work in progress.

• 3 weeks later...

have not used many of my own pots at home, only seconds.  i have a few things that i take to parties with food on top but not everyday stuff.

butterdishes, yes, the last use was to hold the clarified butter that formed when i left a new stick of butter in the dish on the top of the stove.  the pizza cooking in the oven sort of demanded that the butter melt. well, at least i know that size will hold an entire stick, once melted.  product research.

the Tour de Clay in Tampa was this weekend.  the variety of handmade items was staggering.  food was served on platters and plates made by the artists.  i wanted to remove the quiche tarts so i could pick up the freeform platter done by Mark Fehl.  gorgeous!

I think you learn a lot about the style of pottery that works if you use if you use it daily. Find what you don't like and change it.  

Just about to take the 10 dinner plates and a butter dish out of the kiln this morning for our own set. 

Have the wine goblets, tumblers ,side plates and small bowls done. The next to bisque for ourselves are set of 5 nesting bowls, canister set of 4, espresso shot cup, cream & sugar, salt & pepper, 8 Mugs, 2 large casseroles and a 3-19" oval platters

Thought is was time to have our own dishes after 8 months of starting pottery.

All of the pottery has artwork of our horses and the foals produced by our stallion. 

This forum and the web is a great learning tool.

post-66819-0-67092700-1450275446_thumb.jpgpost-66819-0-16734500-1450275429_thumb.jpgpost-66819-0-72324500-1450275463_thumb.jpg

post-66819-0-16734500-1450275429_thumb.jpg

post-66819-0-67092700-1450275446_thumb.jpg

post-66819-0-72324500-1450275463_thumb.jpg

We use mugs and cups I've made in our home. When we have parties we break out the big serving bowls and platters. Made a complete dinner set for 8 ten years ago; still wrapped in paper. I unwrap a piece or two when ever I organize the garage every few years.

I am relatively new to pottery however my first-ever two mugs are used daily (per my other post on mug sizes, I like specific sizes for specific drinks!). I also have my first two bowls that I used to replace the plastic crap my son was using for food - I really hate that plastic kids dinnerware and since I made the bowls myself, I don't care if he breaks it. 

I completely agree with the others here saying they learn the most from using the things they make to inform future changes and refinements - personally I think you don't really know how practical, efficient and usable something is until you 'break it in' yourself. I made a set of 4 mugs recently and the rims were all slightly different - straight, slightly curved in and slightly curved out but otherwise pretty much the same mug shape and style and using each of them gave me the opportunity to identify which rim worked better with the same overall form.

Since I only just learned how to throw plates and platters in the past month, I am now planning designs for my son's dinnerware set and then onto our daily dinnerware and baking pots - look out cupboards I am coming for you! ;)

Archived