Corrosion? Rust? In Studio

Wondering if any of you have experienced corrosion/rust of metal objects in your kiln space.  My kiln is set up with a bottom mounted vent in a climate controlled studio that has a consistent humidity of about 50%, but I'm experiencing corrosion of my paper cutter, triple beam balance, and several other metal pieces.  I'm a little concerned that something caustic in the kiln's off-gassings is causing this and that I'm breathing this same air.  I'd appreciate your input.

Uncoated or untreated iron rusts.  As long as your kiln vent is working (try the smoke test to make sure) you shouldn't be worried.  If you don't like the rust on those items, some fine steel wool will shine them back up and a light coat of oil will keep them protected.

Rob

Uncoated or untreated iron rusts.  As long as your kiln vent is working (try the smoke test to make sure) you shouldn't be worried.  If you don't like the rust on those items, some fine steel wool will shine them back up and a light coat of oil will keep them protected.

Rob

Thanks, Rob.  I'm more concerned about breathing unhealthy agents than rusting of my equipment.  Wonder why it's happening in the studio when it doesn't happen in the house?  Would the building being built on a slab make a difference despite the humidity registering as normal?

Cheer do you live? I live in Florida : it is so humid here EVERYTHING rusts! Wood , ceramics, cloth EVERYTHING! And what doesn't rust, molds!

The slab will wick moisture up , and also not let air circulate to dry out, if you are humid. Gets worse near the ocean, salt in the air will not let the water evaporate. I would be concerned if you live in a dry climate. Then , perhaps , something could be going on.

Air flow will help, or a dehumidifier if you are humid. You might also be sitting in water, like over hard pan . You could at least dig that up and see if it is fun clay.

I hope it isn't kiln emissions!

Sounds strange. It may not be the kiln at all. What kind of heating do you have in the studio?

I live in Virginia, but this is a climate controlled building so the outdoor conditions shouldn't be an issue.  Seems strange that I don't have this issue in the house (20 feet away), but I do in the studio where the electric kiln is.

I am looking at purchasing a de-humifier for my studio. It is sealed so tight, that no cold air, or any air for that matter sneaks in. Don't worry, I am not suffocating. The heat source is hydronic---heat from glycol, in the floor slab. There is condensation on the door knobs as they are cold on the outside and warm on the inside.

I also have a vent in the floor of my electric kiln. There is no air movement as there are no blowers or vents to push heat around. The kiln could be rusting underneath, but I don't see it as a big problem. Other metal objects are fine.

TJR.

Just remember that if your building is very airtight your kiln vent will not work. It requires the save amount of air to enter the building as it blows out. When you run the kiln you may have to open a window slightly, if you find air moving in when the window is opened slightly it needed to be open. 

Just remember that if your building is very airtight your kiln vent will not work. It requires the save amount of air to enter the building as it blows out. When you run the kiln you may have to open a window slightly, if you find air moving in when the window is opened slightly it needed to be open. 

Yep, I do that even though the manual says you don't need to.

Maybe sulfur dioxide leaking out of the bisque kiln (vent not working as well as you think) combined with high humidity:  http://corrosion-doctors.org/AtmCorros/sulfur-diox.htm

best,

..................john

J., you were absolutely correct.  After closer inspection I realized that we'd followed the vent installation instructions that came with the kiln without realizing that they were for a different model vent.  Once I downloaded the correct instructions from Envirovent's website and made some adjustments I think we have the problem solved.  You've probably saved my lungs, if they're not already a loss ;^)  Thanks again!

Archived