Old School Dinnerware Set For Customer

Nobody orders 12 place settings anymore.Its usually 4 or 6 or 8 of whatever. I took this order in March to bring to a show in December  (out of state show) for a 3 piece 12 place setting. Glazed in landscape.

The set just came out and every piece was flawless. Thats something that NEVER happens. I have 13 place settings in flatware and 5 extra bowls.

The plates are 10 inch the salad are 8 inch and the bowls are 6 inch. Porcelain fired to a how cone 11 in reduction.

I think she will be pleased as it looks as good as these glazes and get.

Mark

post-8914-0-25660800-1447878812_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-88003500-1447878828_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-25660800-1447878812_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-88003500-1447878828_thumb.jpg

Are you going give her 13 plates and extra bowls.  Or will you sell the extras separately.  They really look great.

Jed

I gave her the option to pick up any extras-the rest I will sell at Tempe Fall Arts show.The whole order is getting picked up there.I just her these photos and have not yet got a reply

Never has a whole set with extras came out flawless-there is always an issue with something so this is a rare deal.

Mark

One last note is I usually have a few more settings as spares- when I fire a set this one was a bit different from my usual landscape so I only fired one extra setting of flatware thinking if I had flaws I would just fire more if needed as I'm doing a few glaze fires a week right now.The kiln gods where with me on this set.

Mark

Beautiful Mark and congrats on a gorgeous successful set. Put them somewhere SAFE until she picks them up. I'd be holding my breath until they were all delivered but then I'm a clutz so I have my reasons. Lol

I've had a woman buy a plate from each of my different lines rather than a set of four matching. She said she only buys individual plates never sets and she tries to get as many different styles and colors for all her pieces, plates, bowls, cups, etc. her unmatched set has become an eclectic "set" and she says she never has to worry if something gets broken she then just picks out another piece at the next festival she goes to and its replaced! I thought it was an interesting way to do it.

T

I've had a woman buy a plate from each of my different lines rather than a set of four matching. She said she only buys individual plates never sets and she tries to get as many different styles and colors for all her pieces, plates, bowls, cups, etc. her unmatched set has become an eclectic "set" and she says she never has to worry if something gets broken she then just picks out another piece at the next festival she goes to and its replaced! I thought it was an interesting way to do it.

T

This sounds like my kitchen when I was a kid. Except it wasn't done on purpose. hahaha

I have always done the one of a kind thing with mugs but never thought about doing it for the entire place setting.  An interesting idea, but on pondering it I realized that stacking the unlike pieces could be a problem.  I have limited kitchen cabinet space and no dining room furniture for storing dishes.  I realize it's odd for a potter to have a cabinet full of corel dishes, but , hey, they're thin and light and besides I'm a bit of a klutz and they never break.  I have, however, had them chip.

Archived