Beginner Bought A Cheap Kiln, Need Help

MRWoo

Hello,

I just bought my first kiln. Its a cheapy through craigslist. I have never owned a kiln, and I have limited experience firing in an electric kiln. Perhaps I should have researched this kiln before I bought it, but the price was too good to pass up....

The kiln is a Cress B-18-H. The front panel on the kiln just has two dials that go from 0 to 100. My question is: What do these dials mean? Hours? Temperature? I've tried googling the kiln, but I think its too old.

Also, as far as I can tell, there is no kiln sitter. I assume that I will just have to set up cones so I can see them through the peepholes during the firing?

Thank you for your help!

Dials are more a percentage rating of the heat from the elements. As to the use of cones check out this recent post on cone packs. You may also find others by using  the forum search in the main area. 

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/12955-do-you-use-cone-packs-in-an-electric-kiln/?hl=%2Bcone+%2Bpacks

best,

Pres

If it's like their basic model minus the kiln sitter then this owners manual should give you a start on how to operate it http://www.cressmfg.com/pdf/BASIC%20KILN%20MANUAL,%20FOR%20A,B,C%20KILNS.pdf

If not then contact Cress with the Model number and they should be able to help you out.

Telephone
Sales 775-884-2777 or 800-423-4584

FAX
775-884-2991
From Mexico call 001-800-419-1139

Postal address
4736 Convair Dr., Carson City, NV 89706

Email: 
info@cressmfg.com

Hello,

I just bought my first kiln. Its a cheapy through craigslist. I have never owned a kiln, and I have limited experience firing in an electric kiln. Perhaps I should have researched this kiln before I bought it, but the price was too good to pass up....

The kiln is a Cress B-18-H. The front panel on the kiln just has two dials that go from 0 to 100. My question is: What do these dials mean? Hours? Temperature? I've tried googling the kiln, but I think its too old.

Also, as far as I can tell, there is no kiln sitter. I assume that I will just have to set up cones so I can see them through the peepholes during the firing?

Thank you for your help!

Archived