Clay Shed Is Almost Full Again

My annual clay buy came in last week and it took 4 days to get it  moved now its done.

!st time i ever had help with a clay move (Friends high schooler son). Was able to get it all in shed with a bit of room to move around in.

The shed holds 6 boxes deep 8 high -this pile is 9 tons on right and about 2 tons to the left. The orange striped boxes are 5 tons of softer clay that I will get to later after going thru the firmer clay1st-the 9 tons are Daves porcelain .This will last just over a year unless I slow down some more.

The clay on the left is other bodies like Babu and 550 porcelains and a few misc bodies like 1/2 and half.

I decided next year to do all this in the dead of winter as my x-mas season is to busy for moving and billing others for clay-I order for some other potters as well and do some of the paperwork-I'm a slow learner and my back hurts

Mark

post-8914-0-01799900-1447221062_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-01799900-1447221062_thumb.jpg

...glad you brought this up and showed it off to us ;)

How do you intend to store it during the winter?

If I leave my clay outside (but under cover), the next spring when it's time to throw again, the stuff gets too hard.

Methinks because of the freezing and all.

I'm debating whether to throw the few boxes I have tjis weekend just to use it up.

It's getting cold here....

But then your NorCal forest, I'm SoCal desert.

Rex-my climate does not freeze often or long-the canvas cover which is up in the photo hangs down and is enough to keep the clay from freezing hard-also the mass which is huge helps as well.If I had a few boxes outside thats another story.This shed had 3 walls and opne is a inside wall of pot shop.

I can give you some old school tips from my fellow potters who live in New Mexico hard climates. He will cover his one ton pallets with those quilted moving blankets (he throws twice as much clay as me a year-so I know this works) his clay is in an open to the outside area with a covered roof and does face south but the cold id a hard freeze and these blankets keep the mass from getting to cold.

Mark

Wow Mark!

And here I was all excited that I used over 1200lbs this year. Guess I'm still a baby potter after all! I can't even imagine creating over 9 tons of items. You must have hands of steel and Supermans back.

Something for me to aspire to, maybe next year I'll get over a ton.

T

My back is sore-nothing to aspire to.

My body is wore out-work with less I say

Mark

PS for those who asked my materials  bill including shipping bill was $ 7,649.23 it came today.

that included a ton of dry glaze made to order as well as about 10 tons of clay and some misc glaze materials-thermocouples/protection tubes and presure gauge cones and some colorants.

WELL I'll get my account for my tonne of walkers clay , Aus soon and you'll all thank whoever that you live in the USA! ANd that many of your fellow country people are potters .....

I paid over $1000 for a tonne last year....freight on top. $200 last year to the Island. Shea th for thermocouple over $90..

This year who knows, well I will next week when I get the account....

Hope that spammer is reading, she will never waste her time again writing crap to potter people.

Could invite her to come help Mark with his 9 tonne shift jobbie!

Or invite her to sit quietly in his shed whilst it is placed upon her!

Sunday morning going down.... off to clean a kitchen drain.. didn't even wash my clayey hands in the Kitchen sink.....

• 3 weeks later...

Archived