work tables

Simple question and I am hoping for some creative advice. I am building a new home studio and constructing several work tables. I would love to find some slate lab tables but realize that may be a reach but I am thinking of building laminated tables, 1/2" mdf with hardibacker board laminated on top. The concrete board being both durable and absorbent. Any thoughts? Any other ideas out there?

Much Thanks,

Brian

Simple question and I am hoping for some creative advice. I am building a new home studio and constructing several work tables. I would love to find some slate lab tables but realize that may be a reach but I am thinking of building laminated tables, 1/2" mdf with hardibacker board laminated on top. The concrete board being both durable and absorbent. Any thoughts? Any other ideas out there?

Much Thanks,

Brian

Sounds like it would work, just don't allow the concrete into the clay. I have used a poured concrete wedging table for several years, but keep it covered with a heavy canvas cover. It does absorb moisture, and not break down. I would think that you would be good with your laminated tops for work, but if you want to wedge on them I would use 1" base board to accommodate the abuse of cut and slam wedging etc.

I can't help with the technical but I can recommend making them bigger than you think you will need. I am always looking for more flat surfaces and empty shelves. All four walls of my studio are shelves! .... Maybe I am just a hoarder??

Amen to more workspace, I have things hanging all over, shelving all over the place also. My latest solution to part of my lack of workspace is an new @7' wheeling worktop with a cabinet and several drawers. It is a commercial unit from a chain discount house. The big draw on it is that it is on large casters and will be able to be wheeled into a corner or along and area not in use when it is not in use.

I can't help with the technical but I can recommend making them bigger than you think you will need. I am always looking for more flat surfaces and empty shelves. All four walls of my studio are shelves! .... Maybe I am just a hoarder??

Amen to more workspace, I have things hanging all over, shelving all over the place also. My latest solution to part of my lack of workspace is an new @7' wheeling worktop with a cabinet and several drawers. It is a commercial unit from a chain discount house. The big draw on it is that it is on large casters and will be able to be wheeled into a corner or along and area not in use when it is not in use.

I tend to like the metal industrial desks as a base for a lot of things plus they have draws. I had a 450 pound plus 180 pound transmission on one of and I use to use it to build motors on them. They will be going in my studio again. I have a habit of sitting on a desk, or table when I work. I think it's from when I was a child playing with legos. I got 5 of them for free once driving around and noticing them in an industrial area. The draws come in handy to in my opinion.

Much Thanks,

Brian

I have been adding work tables to my shop for years, I buy a hardware kit at the lumber yard for building a shop work bench. I use your standard 2x4 lumber for the frame and legs and then use a slab solid core door for the top and then cover it with canvas you could probably cover them with laminate. With the doors you can buy varied widths and cut them to the length you need, you will probably have to shop at a recycle store or salvage yard for them, newer doors have plaster inside to make them heavy like wood core doors and are hard to cut. I tried a hollow core door once and had a heavy sculpture fall through it, most of my tables are 20 years old, no problems with them I haven't even needed to replace the canvas. Denice

• 1 month later...

A not of caution: the backer board will mold if wet clay sits there too long. Someone gave me the idea of using it instead of a cement slab for drying recycled clay. It seemed loke a bad idea whenit molded, but now I support the backer board with several 1 x2's and it works fine for me.

I would not want to wedge clay on it because small bits of cement will probably end up in the clay.

In doing some research for my fountain project I found that Dura Rock and Wonderboard and be installed in wet areas Hardibacker can not. Perhaps the material that molded was Hardibacker if you decide to use wonderboard get the thickest one and I would cover it with canvas. Denice

Archived