Community Challenge #4

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My hydria survived my rapid drying carelessness and the bisque firing with no cracks explosions. I will be glazing it this weekend sometime. I am going to run some test first on some other pots since I have plenty of random yunomis that I don't like to glaze on.

I thought about doing something silly and putting stick figures fighting with swords or something with iron stain. But then I was like, meh I have too many other important things to do. I am just going to try to layer some nice glazes together to create an older looking bronze green pot.

Looking forward to seeing everyones finished projects all lined up in the challenge results!

I joined this community because the challenge inspired me.  I'd love to see people's results even if after the deadline.  I know that it will be several weeks, best case scenario at the community center before I can get it through two firings.  But first it has to dry very slowly.  I'm not sure it will still make it, but I'd like to give it the best possible chance.  I'm looking forward to the next challenge too!

Ok this looked better as a vase. I am not one to adorn my work, but I need to try and make stuff that is not smooth. I had a fun time making this piece. I tried to use the element of water for this piece with all the tear drop shapes. I do not have an art background so design, color, and all of those types of things are pretty foreign to me. I will post a picture when it is glazed and it will be even worse.

One day I hope to partner with someone who enjoys decorating and glazing thrown work but cant throw for anything. Then there may be hope for this potter.

I think this looks awesome, I absolutely love the raised portions, it all looks awesome. I think maybe a shino glaze would look amazing with it, or a satin black or gunmetal gray might play off the "riveted" look in a really interesting way too.

Btw, I don't have an art background either, everything I do is by the seat of my pants. I love texture so I'm very motivated to learn. The big secret is to just DO IT and keep doing it and each time there will be something you want to do differently. I look at my flowers that I carve and then I look at others' work and mine seems like a kindergartner did it, but I tell myself that one day my poppies will seem to be dancing in the wind the way they do in my mind. :) 

Archived