Ceramic Sculpture Surface Treatment

Is the use of spray paint vs glaze on a sculptural piece scoffed upon in the ceramics world?  I can't achieve the quality of evenness nor can I maintain surface detail to the extent that I desire with glaze??? Again, this is a SCULPTURAL piece...in no way intended for actual use with consumables. 

Thanks

I think if we, as artists, are concerned with what may be scoffed at, we're already in deep doo-doo. Using mixed mediums are as ancient as civilization, as are the risks artists take regardless of who-thinks-what, as is rule-breaking, and bad craftsmanship, and falling on one's face. The integrity of the piece should speak for itself.

I had presciently gone to a local show and will say there as many sellers of acrylic, and oil based paints as there there were sellers of glazes.  From that I would say it is not scuffed upon in the least bit.  The point though is what is the desired durability of the end piece and the appearance that the artist is trying to achieve.  Do you want something that will last for generations will it be exposed to the elements, will it be handled and it so how often.   I believe glazes even underglazes are more durable in the long term than any of the present paints out there.  But do you need that level extra durability?  This is something that only you can answer.  Would you be willing to give up the appearance you desire on the end product for more durability?  It is the artists decision and mixed media is acceptable at the individual artist description.

Archived