Hydrobat Complaint

Hi All,

For what it's worth I recently bought a pair of hydrobats (12" or thereabouts) to check them out.  Both of them have too much "play" in the holes drilled for the bat pins.  One was worse than the other, so I took the better one and tried to throw a bowl with it.  No good -- any lateral pressure, like you'd apply during centering, got it shifting back and forth with each turn of the wheel.  Nothing good happened from there, the clay ended up in the recycling bin, and the bats are on the shelf, where they're going to stay.

(Nothing wrong with my pins -- all of my other bats fit nice and snug, including the two new Medex bats I bought along with the HydroBats.)

I know lots of people like the HydroBats, and maybe I just got some bad ones, but there it is: caveat emptor.

HydrO-bats -- just double checked.

Nice idea drilling new holes -- I may as well give it a try.  They rubber coat the holes, though, which I don't know how to do, and maybe without the coating the holes would wear down over time?  Anyway, better than relegating them to drying bats.

...Hmmm....I sound like a shareholder for Hydrobats I guess ;)

The Ceramic Shop is the manufacturer ( http://www.theceramicshop.com) but Big Ceramics and other carry them as you know.

I ordered a couple from The Ceramic Shop to try out and one came with one of the rubber 'pin holder's cockeyed in the casting.

I let them know about this and the cheerfully sent me another bat. The other 4 I've ordered are fine.

Hope I don't get a disappointment when I get the next 12 I just ordered.

You might give them a ring-a-ding.

HydrO-bats -- just double checked.

Nice idea drilling new holes -- I may as well give it a try.  They rubber coat the holes, though, which I don't know how to do, and maybe without the coating the holes would wear down over time?  Anyway, better than relegating them to drying bats.

I'm pretty sure they are rubber inserts cast into the bottom of the bat.

They're designed to prevent wear on the plaster.

Not so sure drilling new holes would hold up for long.

I remember reading an article a few years ago where someone was making plaster batts with holes for the batt pins. They used aquarium plastic tubing to keep the holes snug. If you don't get anywhere with asking for replacement batts it might work.

Thanks for the advice, and it's nice to hear they're a good company.  I'm not sure what they can really do for me -- I bought them an hour's drive from here, and I'm not inclined to make the trip again for a while (or my first step would be to tell the store I wanted to return them).  And the postage would probably be prohibitive to do it by mail.  But maybe I'll contact the company anyway and see what they say.  

One other thing you could use if you can't get them replaced is to use the Xiem BatMate to hold the batts in place. I use the BatMate with plaster batts up to 18" diameter and no pins, it really works. (works with wood batts up to about 8" also)

If they are not helpful perhaps you can try adding a little bit of clay to the batt pins to fill in the extra space before attaching the batt. I have several hydrobats and have found some of them fit better on the bat pins than others. The extra dab of clay on the pins usually solves the problem for me.

Good luck.

You could cover the pins with plastic and place a small amount of epoxy in the bat pin holes, then press the bat onto the wheel head. The epoxy would "fill in" around the bat pins and dry.  Once dry the plastic would allow the bat to be removed.  Hopefully, all the extra wiggle room around the bat pins will be filled with hardened epoxy. 

Jed

I had a similar problem and found that purchasing new bat pins in a metric size (sold at Lowes) were a tad large and worked just fine. If you don't want to switch the pins back and forth based on which bats you are using, the clay trick usually works fine.

• 4 years later...

has anyone gotten bad hydrobats recently and can attest to the quality or know of any way to make them level? I just bought 3 (2 x 14" and 1 x 12.5") and 2 of them were pretty uneven on the top (some bits were about .5cm and .7cm higher than other parts) I emailed the company asking if there was any way to fix them and sent 3 different videos of them and they just said that "Your hydrobats are probably wobbling a little bit because they weren't trimmed perfectly, but they should still be usable" and I could try adding clay  or I could return them (which the shipping cost will probably make it not worth it). I have other hydrobats from years ago and they are nice and flat so it was a bit disappointing that these one's werent and that their response was that they arent always level, which I feel like is a lot of the reason to use a bat.

edit- The bottoms are fine, they do not wobble on the wheel-head but the top of the bat itself has high and low spots on it  so if your hand is resting on the bat while the wheel is on your hand will move up and down while it spins- its like a topographic map - versus if it were all nice and flat and level your hand shouldnt move up and down while the wheel turns. I could add a pretty thick layer of clay over the bat and make a new level surface and then throw on that but that is a pain- uses more clay that I then need to trim off  -and not what I paid for.

Archived