Moth To A Flame-Or Jumping Into Fire-Great Idea?

You ever noticed insects always seem to fly directly into a fire?Not much thought just jump right in. It got me thinking about having the right suit do do this safely in. The trouble is many of my past attempts  at suits where to rigid.They seemed more like wizard of Oz tinman suits. What is needed is a flexable suit and a face mask to keep out the sparks-with the right idea one could take a flying leap if you will at a large fire and come thru still smiling. Its been an age old problem for mankind. When you recognize a problem and solve it for mankind everyone wins.
I have been kicking around a few ideas-brainstorming really.If I can solve this vexing issue and still come away alive with a photo I will post it. If you do not hear from me again for awhile its well you know a failure and I'll be in a skin graft ward for months-may even miss the whole x-mas season.

I have a large fire planned soon when the rains hit and am busting to try it out.

mark

The trick to this, if you're doing what I think you're doing, is to keep the thermal mass and conductivity of what you're jumping into to their absolute lowest.  It's why the firewalking trick works.  The coals have no mass and almost insulate.  Walking over them as more in common with sticking your hand in the oven than touching the hot oven rack.

Would this be a halloween timed feat?

Its been a big week-just a little rain and I could light my burn pile-thing is I made it huge.

In the heat of the moment I forgot to wear my gloves

My wife snapped this photo she calls -yellow headed moth attracted to flame

I had a 20 yard run so I was able to get airborne well.

The suit worked great and the new headgear worked well  but I did not think much about gravity .

It was all going great until I plooped into the middle of the flame pile.

Now as I write this letter from  the  local burn unit I realize this was a hair brained stunt-as I have said before do not try this at home folks.

After a few years of skin grafts I may get back to stupid tricks

Mark

post-8914-0-29462100-1445794039_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-29462100-1445794039_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Archived