Is It Ruined?

I made my mom a little coffee mug with a chicken on it (lowfire). Well, my stupid brother put taco meat grease in it and basically hid it (for a few weeks), so the sour grease soaked into the glaze. It smells like butt and there is no way I'm letting my mom drink out of that cup again.

Do you think I could refire it to ^03 and burn the grease/bacteria out? Or is it stuck as a display piece? My mom really likes that mug a lot...

Don't think you want to go that high; especially since that is your finished glaze temp and you would risk remelting the glaze. You might be able to remove the odor by heating it in the oven. As it is lowfire, just make sure it is really dry before reheating . . . you don't want absorbed moisture doing its thing.

Bill Van Gilder tells a story of how he and his son had accumulated a pile of dirty dishes and the son was ignoring his dishwashing chores. Bill went off one weekend to do a workshop and left orders that the dishes were to be done by the time he returned. Bill returned to find all the dishes cleaned and stacked in the cupboards. He complimented his son on doing the washing and drying . . . at which point his son told Bill he had simply stacked them in the bisque kiln and fired the load. Anyhow, the organics were duly eliminated. But he rewashed the dishes.

I made my mom a little coffee mug with a chicken on it (lowfire). Well, my stupid brother put taco meat grease in it and basically hid it (for a few weeks), so the sour grease soaked into the glaze. It smells like butt and there is no way I'm letting my mom drink out of that cup again.

Do you think I could refire it to ^03 and burn the grease/bacteria out? Or is it stuck as a display piece? My mom really likes that mug a lot...

I think you could just stick it in your next load of bisque. Should burn right off.

TJR.

I like the dirty dish story too. Reminds me of an acquaintance who fed a roast dinner to 35 people one Christimas, She roasted a leg of pork, a leg of lamb and a turkey, together with trays of potatoes, carrots and pumpkin in her front-loading kiln.

Archived