Kiln Fumes And Placement In Garden

Hello. I am new to the forum and also fairly new to ceramics (about a year). I recently meet a retired potter who is selling all her equipment and I purchased her wheel and a giffon grip. She also has an excel top loading single burner kiln which she asked if I wanted. It is 5 cubic ft internally and comes with shelves and props. Ships is asking $360. My initial thought was I am too inexperienced, but my wife has talked me into getting it.bi was going to put it in out outdoors in the pool area next to a chicken run. I live in Brisbane Australia. The climate here is subtropical with winter temps of 4-20 degrees Celsius and summer temps 20-45 c.

Now here is my question, my instructor and a potter friend think that this is a bad idea as the fumes from glazing are quite toxic and I have many fruit trees (mangos bananas lemons limes oranges apples pears and a vege patch) within a 5-30 meters radius. Is this correct? If so would an electric kiln be better? Sorry I'm a newbie at all this so sorry if this seems a bit silly but I have done a Google search to try and find this myself but not much I can find.

Thanks in advance. Oh by the way I have a time constraint as person selling the kiln needs to have it out of her house by next weekend so I would like to give her an answer as to whether I'll purchase it.

Regards clement

Hey Clement! Welcome!

You'll want to shelter any kiln from rain and wind, but allow lots of ventilation for a gas burning kiln. I think if your trees are far enough away as to not be a fire hazard they should be perfectly safe from whatever fumes are coming out of a 5 cubic ft kiln. Fumes from glaze firing are certainly ones you don't want inside your home, but they run heavily to things like carbon monoxide. There is a possibility of some metal fumes, depending on what materials you're glazing with. If something like a welding rig or outdoor chlorine swimming pool isn't likely to kill your trees in a similar proximity, then neither will a kiln.

Thanks Diesel for the response. That information is fantastic. It great to know my plants won't die off.

I plan on using fairly safe glazes to begin with like a celadon or tenmoku but if I start glazing with more toxic glazes is there a chance that Heavy metals can get into the fruit and vegetables I'm growing. As much as I like to listen to heavy metal I really don't want to eat it!

Regards clement

Archived