Design Problem. Overhanging Edge

PieterD

Hi,

In the attachment you can see a drawing of what I'd like to make.

It's a simple rectangular bar with a disc attached to the top. The round disc extends about 1" (2,5cm) on each side of the bar.

I want to glaze the round disc so I can use it to serve food on it.

Can this be made ?

If yes, please tell me how because my teacher told me that this would be impossible. I hope it's not.

Thanks a lot for all the help.

post-71470-0-62611500-1444195139_thumb.png

post-71470-0-62611500-1444195139_thumb.png

Hi, you failed to attach a picture. Easily done, I usually mess it up first time if

I haven't posted a picture for a while. FAQ entry as postscript.

Can you say why your teacher thought it was impossible to make?

PS

How do I attach an image?

First, you might need to resize your image. The maximum files size for each post on this forum is 500kb. In Photoshop (or similar program) make sure your image is RGB, 72dpi, and we recommend under 600 pixels wide. Then go to File > Save for Web & Devices. You should see 4 versions of the image at differing levels of quality and file sizes. Choose the smallest file size possible without compromising your image quality. Then click Save.

After you have your image resized, go to the bottom of your post and click More Reply Options, then to Attach Files at the bottom of the page. Click Choose File button. Navigate to your photo on your computer. Choose the file and click the Attach This File button. You will see a small thumbnail of your image on the left and an Add to Post button on your right. Click the Add to Post button.

Is the clay bar a solid clay bar?  Not impossible to make I don't think but I would be reticent to make the bar a solid clay bar. Slow drying would be the way to go. Difference in thickness of pieces would merit caution. Would be possible to make,  the above would be poss. Surviving the finings  is the testing of every pot.

As PeterH said... Why did the teacher think it impossible?

Did they think

...unsupported overhang would slump?

...glaze from dish would run into bar?

...dish would warp?

...not dry evenly?

...something else?

What clay, glaze, firing schedule do you plan?

silly question, what kind of setting do you imagine for the finished work?  is someone supposed to use it as a serving platter or a dinner plate?  why do you want to do this particular shape? 

it can be done, many stranger shapes have been made, but to what purpose?

To minimize warping I'd want a hollow circular foot under the disk that attaches to the bar; wouldn't have to be more than a mm tall.  Think a flat topped dinner plate with a foot..  Don't forget an air hole.  I think there's a more serious risk or warping/cracking if it is just a flat plate directly attached to the bar.  Can't prove it with math, but that's what my gut tells me. 

On the other hand, sprig molds don't generally crack, so I may be nuts.

I am certain that a thin flat disk would be more likely to slump if unsupported for several inches, though probably safe at 1-1.5".  You could slightly underfire to protect against that.but your finished piece would be weaker than normal.

@judith : I'm not exactly sure that I understand what you mean. Do you mean making the disc thicker and merging it with the bar ?

Yes, that's what I meant, so that it supports the edge. But like the others said, if it doesn't overhang too much, it might be okay. Depending on the kind of clay you're using too

Wow,

Thanks for all the replies !

First of all it Should be used As a small appetizer plate so that's already part of the mistery solved 😀

Of all the replies I've seen there are two that I Will try :

1: just try to fire it and see what happens

2: fire the disc and bar seperately and Glue them together

Thans for the help !

Is it something that will be used in a restaurant or something? I don't know if the glue can stand the super strong washing machines they have. For a dishwasher at home it might be alright, even though it sounds like handwashing might be the safest thing to do.

Archived