Repairing Cracks In Primitive Fired Pots

I just came back from the Mid-Atlantic Clay conference in Front Royal, VA, where it never stopped raining.  I participated in the primitive firing workshop and did some pieces in a barrel fire.  4 pieces with the full range from "Oh wow!" to "meh".  The largest piece got some good colors and marks, however, it is seriously cracked to the point where I have to handle it very carefully.  Some portion of the cracks have widened to a a significant extent so that they are visible from a distance.  

I would like to keep this piece 1.  as a memento of the experience  2.  I like the pot and the marks.   So I am looking for ideas that will  1.  enhance the cracks to make them part of the decoration, and 2.  Stabilize the pot so it doesn't fall apart.

I don't want to do the gold lustre thing...I can't remember what that's called.  But that's kind of the idea.

I would appreciate your collective thoughts.

I use this epoxy putty pc7 or pc11.  one is black and one is white. it dries very slowly but is killer strong.   I use it to attach hangers to the back of wall pieces.  I have heard you can put a stain in the white and get any color you want.  I've used the black to repair raku things and it just looks like more crackling.    rakuku

Chris, I'm looking for more enhancement than just clear.  Rakuku, epoxy putty with stain sounds awesome.  I got some good red on this pot so I wonder about a red stain.

Anybody tried this? I have tried crimson mason stain on feather raku pots but it turned out disappointingly pinkish.

Judith, I believe that is what she was referring to, when she talked not wanted to use gold luster to fix it.

I would go with the stained epoxy route.  Along those lines, JB Weld makes something called "Quickwood".  As the name implies, it's for patching wood, but as it's more like a putty, and not runny like normal epoxies, it might work better for the vertical surfaces of a pot.  And you'd be able to mix in the stain as well to color it.

Peter Hayes uses stained epoxy to add a little extra detail to his raku pieces. AFAIR

he applied tape to the outside of the piece first, to give a neat finish.

Really posted to say that the colour I remember best was a blue/cyan, which contrasted

well with the raku colours.

http://www.pyramidgallery.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/peter-hayes-raku-totem-disc-sculpture.jpg

http://sableandox.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/a/raku_bow_front.jpg

I use assorted glues to fill in deliberate or serendipitous cracks where I then use a variety of other media to enhance the crack...micro dust (glitter), threads, beads, fine gravel, fabric, twine etc. ..whatever suits the piece. 

Archived