Own Website Vs Facebook Photo Gallery

I am beginning to think about selling some of my stuff. Since this is just a hobby, I don't know how much work I want to put into websites, marketing etc. I wonder how much difference there is  in visibility, image, traffic etc. between using a Facebook photo gallery and setting up my own website. I do have experience building websites and have been looking at WordPress as an option. I own the domain LawrenceWeathers.com and could use it.  

So my question is: is it worth the extra trouble of building a WordPress site?

I say this in the nicest way ... : - ) ....

If you are questioning whether just building the site is more effort than it's worth, then the Internet sales area might not be for you.

Can you post images into a Facebook page ... Yes, but who is going to go looking for you unless you publicize it?

Can you build a super website ... Yes, but again how do you drive traffic to it?

Can you have an Etsy site .... Yes, but you better be prepared to spend lots of online time working it.

Even a blog eats away at hours of your day.

The Internet is fast and vast ... You get lost very quickly as attention spans / click away times hover around 3 seconds.

A very easy way for hobbyists to start selling is to find a local hand made gift shop that only needs a limited inventory, or small craft shows that have low entry fees but are well run ... This keeps the scope human, affordable and low stress.

Best of luck to you whichever way you go!

(A very easy way for hobbyists to start selling is to find a local hand made gift shop that only needs a limited inventory, or small craft shows that have low entry fees but are well run ... This keeps the scope human, affordable and low stress.
Best of luck to you whichever way you go! )

Chris said it just right for me.  I live in a small town of about 5000 and have two outlets on the square, a drug store that sells all sorts of items, and an antique store that also sells gifts.  I only do 2 shows a year, one in town and one in a neighboring town.  Since I'm probably a hobby type potter I stay as busy as I want to.  I have paid for my Skutt 1027, my wheel, all my supplies, and still have some left over to carry the better half on a nice trip every year.  I've been potting for about 10 years, and I still run into people who say, "Where do you sell your work."  So I think the market is still there.  

I agree with Chris--it is fun to interact with the visitors to the craft sales and to see someone pick up and admire one of your pieces and then decide to purchase it.  Also you only have to make as much as you feel like and the things you enjoy making.  Best  of luck--Ginny

Websites and social media are a tool, and what you want out of it will dictate what you should build and what not to bother with.

I started my website and online stuff mostly to have a place to refer potential wholesale clients and show jurors to. It makes you look a bit more professional to some people. I don't know if this is everywhere, but in my area, many shows expect you to put a bit of effort into social media marketing yourself. Not a huge amount, but a post or 3 a week in the month leading up to a show you've been accepted to is good practice.

Facebook does have the longest reach because everyone is still on it, at least nominally, and it is very quick and easy to set up a business or artist page. If you want to add a plain website with a gallery, contact info and a newsletter signup to that, I think it's bonus points, but it can be a project done if you're looking to grow or get into nicer venues.

E-commerce needs you to have a following of some kind, either in real life, through a newsletter, or on social media to be successful. It takes a while to build these, so if it's something you want for later, build an account and start practicing. Get the screwups out of the way while you only have 3 followers, one of which is your dog.

I've had a whole four sales that I can directly attribute to the Internet, but having an online presence has definitely gotten me into real life venues and other opportunities.

I personally think it looks more professional to have your own website rather than just a facebook page. You have very easy solutions for websites, not as complicated as wordpress. I used weebly, it's all drag and drop and you can have a pretty decent website in just a few hours. I think it is indeed worth the trouble.

Archived