Ceramic Sculpture?

Just curious if everyone here is a potter or if there are other folks who do sculptural work with ceramics?

My husband is a potter by profession and not quite a year ago I got bored waiting for him to finish up trimming his bowls so I sat down with some clay. I fell in love, which isn't surprising, since I am a career soil scientist and play in the dirt a lot anyway. So I have been dabbling in sculpture for the last 9 months or so, and I have to say, it is addictive. I still have no desire to get behind the wheel, but I have fallen for hand building.

However, I have had a hard time finding others who sculpt with ceramic clay (versus oil clay or sculpey for casting) and I would love to learn some more tricks and techniques to incorporate into my work!

Looks like my images are too large to attach, I'll try to resize and try again, but here's a link to my portfolio: http://karliejaye.wix.com/kjwsculptor

I do nothing but ceramic sculpture - mostly animal figures.  there are so many good books and videos out there. you might look for your own sculpting clay instead of using your husband's throwing clay.  I use b mix with grog but its because I raku. there is clay planet smooth sculpture clay that works well without cracking.    rakuku

So far I have been using a clay with more grog than my husband likes. He got 300 lbs as an experiment and didn't like throwing with it, so now it is all mine! I also use a clay body specifically for raku firing on some of my pieces (we have both an electric and a propane kiln). Our next trip to Georgies, though, we will pick up a specific sculptural clay for me to try. I tried a G6 mix that he throws with that had almost no aggregate to it and I hated it! I find it fascinating how different each of the bodies works.

are you close enough to portland to go to the gallery called Mother Goose?  (i think)  there you can find the sculptors and perhaps arrange a workshop, lessons, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion! We go to Portland quite frequently. I am so far self-taught so I am sure there are many errors to my ways and I would LOVE to get hands-on tips and tricks from pro's.

I did portraiture sculpture for 10 years, I was self taught and then joined a local sculpture group/class.  I was doing the portraits at home, life size from the waist up.  The original was in clay an then I would cover it with a layer of colored plaster and the white plaster on top until it was several inches thick.  I would dig out the clay, put a separator in it and pour plaster in it. Then you chip the outer plaster off until you hit the colored plaster and gently take it off.  The class I joined did smaller work just in clay so I learned new techniques there.  I think you will enjoy the class.       Denice

Archived