Prices?

I can see what you mean by that.  I don't disagree with it, I think there are many considerations and general market comparison puts somebody in the right direction. Naturally there will be the severely under priced master work.  I have seen it myself.  

As for the wood, I do somewhat disagree with that. Educated buyers are aware of the time and cost involved with some techniques such as wood firing. It is always wise to consider your cost before factoring in profit.  I do think it is a shame that I find crochet thread lace tablecloths at antique stores for less than a new one would cost.  I snatch those up! I think it's similar to the fact that often times crocheters will make most of their items for charity or gifts and will severely under value their work just as potters do. IT trains the public to expect that for cost. I don't think it's a good idea to continue making that mistake just because a few do.  People will respect our work when we begin to. 

When i refer to educated buyers, a simple comparison could be made to the average joe saying they do not think it's right to pay $7000 for a classic chanel bag.  But they still manage to sell to those who can afford it and understand the quality.  

Well the show went well for a first run. Managed $2,700. Would have liked to sell more but I learned a lot. I packed WAY to much stuff and had to much on the shelves. Had lots of complements on how the booth looked.

I was surprised at what did not sell well. We had  a bunch of fun pet bowls that had all sorts of sayings in them for $20 and did not sell well. This was a horse based event, most horse owners have dogs so we thought that would work well. Oh well had fun making them and handed out loads of advertising. 

Had some LED strip lights that I used under the shelves, would have liked a softer whit instead but it was all I had at the time, I am ordering more to add them to all the shelves with a more natural colour. The attached photo is the booth I built for the show. the lights look very blue in the pictures but where not to bad. Next show will look better.

There is another local show in March that is much better priced booth that we will go to. I plan to be very selective on what we bring.  

post-66819-0-28998900-1445905269_thumb.jpg

post-66819-0-28998900-1445905269_thumb.jpg

As to wood firing ... potters are more in love with round and brown wood firing than shoppers are.

Well, just because you wood fire, you don't need to make little brown pots.  The last wood firing I was a part of, I had a bunch of blue and green porcelain in the kiln. Even the clear-glazed stuff i put in developed a very pale celadon in the reduction (cheapo porcelain, I guess.)

I do think that wood-fired pots of equal quality in form and glaze should probably bring a higher price, if only because of the much higher labor costs associated with wood firing.

But I agree with you that potters who have a certain level of skill ought to be asking more for their work than is commonly the case.  I was astonished recently when someone bought a mug from me for $60.00.  It was a favorite piece, which was why I priced it higher than my other mugs.  Might be a lesson there.

post-65900-0-41752500-1445909947_thumb.jpg

post-65900-0-41752500-1445909947_thumb.jpg

Well the show went well for a first run. Managed $2,700. Would have liked to sell more but I learned a lot. I packed WAY to much stuff and had to much on the shelves. Had lots of complements on how the booth looked.

I was surprised at what did not sell well. We had  a bunch of fun pet bowls that had all sorts of sayings in them for $20 and did not sell well. This was a horse based event, most horse owners have dogs so we thought that would work well. Oh well had fun making them and handed out loads of advertising. 

Had some LED strip lights that I used under the shelves, would have liked a softer whit instead but it was all I had at the time, I am ordering more to add them to all the shelves with a more natural colour. The attached photo is the booth I built for the show. the lights look very blue in the pictures but where not to bad. Next show will look better.

There is another local show in March that is much better priced booth that we will go to. I plan to be very selective on what we bring.

For your first time out, those are fabulous sales! And it sounds like you gained a lot of knowledge to use going forward. Congrats!

I think your main shelves/tables look great.  Your stock is grouped and accessible.  I would lose the small table to the left ... unfortunately it reminds me of a garage sale table.  Really love the fencing!  I agree more under lighting/different color.

What was your best selling item?

Ditto above re front left table. Otherwise I think it looks good but would get rid of the check cloths (?covering stock) under the tables. Using the plain fabric you have as your backdrop would keep it looking simpler and keep the focus on your goods. (The eye tends to get drawn to these cloths!)

You can be really proud of your sales - great result!

How wonderful for you-the sales & the experience! :)  

I agree that the side table and the plaid cloth detracts. I also don't care for the painting-it looks like a stray that doesn't fit with the ceramics. There are also a LOT of pieces-looks a little cluttered-maybe show a bit less and just replenish from under the table as pieces sell. The natural, rustic, wood posts are awesome-be nice if you could edge the front of the shelves with strips of that wood, to carry it throughout. 

What I learned was what most of the comments where. Lose the side table for products,had the lower priced items like pet bowls etc on it but did not work.  Might keep it clear for wrapping and sales,  smaller table would work without closing in the booth. The shelves where loaded a little to heavy with items. Trying to hard to display it all, figure if someone wants to buy they will regardless of how many bowls you have out. 

The lighting will be improved, it was a last second improvement, the blue did not show as much in person like it did to the camera.

We will not take the paintings next time, it actually helped a little to hide the backside of the next booth.

Thanks to all that gave input on prices and ideas, it was a big help.

I would say congratulations on a very good first show.  As far as atmospherics, I think your booth was interesting and very appropriate for the genre.

As for those pet bowls, I sold imported ones about 20 years ago.  I remember when I saw the first ones in Atlanta (Department 56, Tag and Midwest had them).   They are excellent gifts.   They are such good gifts, my experience is that most pet owners may already have them.   The holiday season is edging in but buyers may not have been thinking "Christmas gifts" at that show.  Thinking about this, I can not recall any self purchase novelty pet bowls ... some items are just gifty.

That is super for a first show. I love your horses. either you have a very good eye, or you are a horseman,(a horseperson always knows when the artist really knows the subject, otherwise it just doesn't work for us equine nuts ).

The comments are spot on from my sales experiences. Keep everything as neutral as possible to be only a backdrop for your work. Lights help LOTS.

I would love to be in an area where I could have a solid market for equine work, it's my first love.

Archived