Maiden Bisque Witness Cone 05 06 07 Melted To Washed Shelf

In Pigeon Forge the Titanic was a bit of a disappointment. In Gatlinburg the Believe it or Not museum was not really worth the money. The Sea Aquarium is like all the others. One place my grandchildren enjoyed was The Works in Pigeon Forge can't miss it. It is the upside down building. Tons of mountain roller coasters. These are the touristy things.

The more natural things and to see how people lived in the past.... Behind Gatlinburg is a motor tour one lane road has the homes of different people and imagine how they lived. Great photo opportunities. Another place is Cade's Cove 11 mile loop to drive. Caution you if you go to Cade's Cove Little River Rd is a road used by locals. If you have a local riding your bumper, there are many pull overs let them by and all will be good. If play brake to scare, they will laugh and will ride you closer. Up the mountain is a very pretty trail called Alum Cave popular too. Chimneys trail my be to strenuous with children, lots and lots of stairs.

In Pigeon Forge the Titanic was a bit of a disappointment. In Gatlinburg the Believe it or Not museum was not really worth the money. The Sea Aquarium is like all the others. One place my grandchildren enjoyed was The Works in Pigeon Forge can't miss it. It is the upside down building. Tons of mountain roller coasters. These are the touristy things.

The more natural things and to see how people lived in the past.... Behind Gatlinburg is a motor tour one lane road has the homes of different people and imagine how they lived. Great photo opportunities. Another place is Cade's Cove 11 mile loop to drive. Caution you if you go to Cade's Cove Little River Rd is a road used by locals. If you have a local riding your bumper, there are many pull overs let them by and all will be good. If play brake to scare, they will laugh and will ride you closer. Up the mountain is a very pretty trail called Alum Cave popular too. Chimneys trail my be to strenuous with children, lots and lots of stairs.

Cade's Cove is on our list for sure. Thanks for the info!

hey, alice, you said you don't know any potters nearby.  A R R O W M O N T ?   get a group organized with their help, become president of a guild of potters!!

Hi Alice... I will talk to Bill May. I don't know about being President though. I wish the other Bill was still there because his background was pottery. Bill May is stain glass. Ahhhh my new babysitter tube came yesterday.... I was surprised it came so soon. I will need to put it in Sunday or following weekend. Right now I am waiting on my car oil change and alignment. Heading from TN to FL for a funeral.

• 3 weeks later...

***UPDATE***. Busy two weeks... Funeral a very good celebration of my Uncles life..... My Surgery great I am doing better than expected. I glazed the Madien Bisque load while I was out on medical leave. They took a lot of time to dry between layers. I was brushing on Potters Choice. What also helped the drying was a space heater and a small fan on table. I glazed every piece, I had the time. I fired the glazed pieces today and I am sooooo excited!!! Yes, I peeked twice. Sorry I know that is a no no but I was soooo curious. I did not melt the cones to the shelf. And I saw some pretty colors!! Here is the craziest thing.... I stuck the broken kiln sitter tube back into place and put a cone 6 bar into the sitter. I figured why not I am watching it closely any how. This kiln sitter shut the kiln off!!! I have a new kiln sitter and tube. The old sitter I have does not fit the newer tubes, so I had to buy the rest of the kiln sitter.... I will post pictures tomorrow. Once agin thank you for all the wonderful advice and encouragement.

The Arrowmont School of Crafts is located in downtown Gatlinburg. They have a huge

reference craft library and a wood turning museum. On one end of the campus, is the Arrowcraft Gallery. Tour the campus and browse thru the gallery. The gallery

is run by the Southern Highland Craft Guild and members work are sold there as well

as the other 5 galleries. There are maps to potters studios available at tourist centers all around Gatlinburg you can drive to and explore or shop. Most potters

demonstrate while you're there.

The last time I was in Pigeon Forge, I thought it resembled an inland Panama

City Beach, Floriduh. Carloads of raging hormones driving one mile an hour to the end, turning around and driving back at one mph...all day, all night. Geographically, Pigeon Forge is about 16 miles or so from Gatlinburg and from Alabama, you drive thru PF to Gatlinburg. The best traveling time is

3:00 - 5:00 am. in my humble opinion. That way you can examine the Anagoma kiln

as well as the other wood and gas kilns until breakfast.

See ya,

Alabama

My last note on this subject.... Adding pictures..... Great lessons learned.

1) put a bar in kiln sitter even if broken and still watch closely.

2) I do not need to be so conservative of glaze line at bottom.

3) pedstal cones and kiln wash surface

4) kiln wash kiln sitter tabs.

5) combined glazes do not always work to Amaco instruction some worked great. Just experiment first time using glaze.

6) layering different colors do color over lap in up and down manor.

7) if firing completely manual triple check cone view in peep holes before firing.

8) when glazing keep a log of your experiments.... You will forget something.

I couldn't attach all got the dreaded to large notic. This a flavor of load. Enjoy.... And big thank you to all. Remember I am a beginner.

post-71225-0-41547400-1445173758_thumb.jpg

post-71225-0-28549800-1445173774_thumb.jpg

post-71225-0-97607500-1445173789_thumb.jpg

post-71225-0-21424800-1445173832_thumb.jpg

post-71225-0-24343500-1445173927_thumb.jpg

post-71225-0-41547400-1445173758_thumb.jpg

post-71225-0-28549800-1445173774_thumb.jpg

post-71225-0-97607500-1445173789_thumb.jpg

post-71225-0-21424800-1445173832_thumb.jpg

post-71225-0-24343500-1445173927_thumb.jpg

for a first firing you get a good grade!  absolutely keep a record of what you are doing.  in a stitched kids composition book where whatever you write will still be there in years to come.  loose paper asks to be lost just before you need it.

the glaze in the first  picture looks like a rutile glaze so if you got it out of a little bottle, consider mixing it yourself.

the blue glaze on the tall pot with a heart looks like a popular recipe also.

your list of changes to make include stuff at 3 and 4 that need more info.  what are you going to put kiln wash on??????

Thank you Alice. I was so excited to open the kiln this morning.

"your list of changes to make include stuff at 3 and 4 that need more info.  what are you going to put kiln wash on??????"

3) I am going to create multiple witness cone pedstals of different heights and kiln wash the top of them to assure I always have an eye on the witness cones on top self. I placed witness cones on the other two lower shelves just to let me know the temp there.

4) kiln wash the metal tabs on the kiln sitter. I forgot to put kiln wash on them and the witness cone bar stuck to the metal tabs.

I was totally shocked the broken kiln sitter worked.

I will pick up one of those notebooks this week.

Yes that was rutile out of the bottle.... I will eventually start mixing my glaze. I am slowly collecting equipment. The sieves are expensive.

a single 60 mesh sieve has lasted me from 1972 until 2 or 3 years ago when i finally wore a hole in the center.  i know the real glaze pros use smaller mesh sieves but i do not think that is your focus.

still don't get the cone pedstals reference, especially when you say at different heights.  what is the kiln wash for?????  the melted bar stuck permanently to the bars on the kiln sitter??? 

That is good to know what I buy will last me all my life.... That makes paying that much feel better.

The cone pedstals will be something I make. I will use them to prop my witness cones up so I can see them through the peep hole.

Kiln wash is usually a mixture of alumina hydrate and kaolin Brushed on the self to prevent stuff from sticking. Like the cones I melted to the shelf. I was able to pop them off with a flat head screw driver because I had a very good coat of kiln wash on the shelves. I had to replace the kiln was that was removed when I popped everything off. Yes the bar melted and stuck permanently to the bars on the kiln sitter.

hard to believe the cone bar stuck.  never used kiln wash of support bars of kiln sitter, never had a problem.  did it overfire?

still do not get the connection between kiln wash and the support for your witness cones.  maybe just not understanding the purpose of kiln wash there.  it sounds as though you think you can see the cones better with the wash?  is your clay so dark that you want a white background to see better?  i will try to "let it go" though a puzzle is unsolved here.

Archived