Garden Sculpture 5ft high

Create a Strawberry Pot from a tall cylinder

Thrown Plate

Week 5

Bone China Chandelier from slip-cast moulds

Banding enamel on plate rim

Thrown sphere

Week 6

Porcelain tea set – 4 cups and saucers, tea pot, milk jug, sugar bowl and cake stand

Pierced cylinder

3 thrown jugs with pulled lip

Hey everyone! Thanks for the warm welcome. 

I loved the final episode. I was literally on the edge of my seat, squealing at the tv! It's so inspiring to see any ceramic work being created, and I can't wait to have a go at some of the projects. What will they make next season?! :-D

I've particularly enjoyed seeing some of my younger family members get excited about clay after watching the show - only four and six years old - they have been glued to the screen and loved watching it all come together, and kept asking really good questions about the processes. Every time I have visited them in the last few weeks we have sat and made things in clay together, pinch pots, slab xmas decorations etc and they have been thrilled with what they have created. I've recently joined my local Anglian Potters association because I just want to talk about pottery all the time and I hope to find some kindreds there! 

Hi Louise - I'm an Anglian Potter so I'll keep an eye out for you at the demo days - an absolute MUST, really worth a day out. If you're stuck for transport, I'm in St Ives and can always take a diversion and pick you up. Just PM me.

Am invigilating at the AP selling exhibition tomorrow - penultimate day in Cambridge. 65 potters' work from beginners to professionals, always worth a visit.

Sally, I totally agree.

And for anyone who wants to "replicate" the challenges:

The Great Pottery Throwdown Challenges

Week 1

5 Nesting Bowls

Identical pulled handles on 10  contemporary and 10 traditional mugs

20 minutes to throw maximum number of egg-cups off the hump

Week 2

Sink with correct sized hole in bottom

Blindfold tallest straight-sided cylinder

Decorate 9 Tiles

Week 3

Raku 10 long-identical necked vases

2 thrown candlesticks  copy of demo

Decorate 3 Jugs with slip

Week 4

Garden Sculpture 5ft high

Create a Strawberry Pot from a tall cylinder

Thrown Plate

Week 5

Bone China Chandelier from slip-cast moulds

Banding enamel on plate rim

Thrown sphere

Week 6

Porcelain tea set – 4 cups and saucers, tea pot, milk jug, sugar bowl and cake stand

Pierced cylinder

3 thrown jugs with pulled lip

YOU ARE MY HERO

I LOVE YOU

This is just what I wanted!!! :D

YOU ARE MY HERO

I LOVE YOU

This is just what I wanted!!! :D

No probs, if you want to ask questions about any challenge on that list, don't leave it too long.  I can keep watching the first one until 16 December, and the last one until 7 January before they disappear.  (With the other four spaced oddly in between.)

I totally understand the way the BBC is funded, but what is annoying is that if I had a video recorder, I could record the programmes onto tape, and keep them forever, and share with my friends.  I don't have a video recorder, therefore can't offer to help you out.  I'm unable to watch them live, so am limited to watching them for 28 days only on iPlayer.

I wish I could help you all.  Despite the moans and grumbles, it has been quite interesting and if I'd had better throwing skills I would have applied to take part.

Today I've done something new......  sgrafitto on a slip cast mug, and on four tiles.

I was inspired by week 2.  

I used two different base clays (speckled stoneware and red earthenware) and three different slips (speckled stoneware, red earthenware and an almost white casting slip) and have carved the same pattern through the slip on all four.  They are well wrapped as I won't be back to the centre until 7 Jan now.

Next new challenge will be the pierced cylinder.

Today I've done something new......  sgrafitto on a slip cast mug, and on four tiles.

I was inspired by week 2.  

I used two different base clays (speckled stoneware and red earthenware) and three different slips (speckled stoneware, red earthenware and an almost white casting slip) and have carved the same pattern through the slip on all four.  They are well wrapped as I won't be back to the centre until 7 Jan now.

Next new challenge will be the pierced cylinder.

A friend gave me two small mug molds for slip casting. Well, I can make mugs anytime I want on the wheel, and it's easier than slip casting. But I thought I could use just the body of the mug and cast it very thin in porcelain, then do a sgraffito resist for a design that would shine through with a candle inside. 

I want to try the pierced cylinder too. I totally think we should have a thread! Can we have a thread? Am I authorized to make a thread? ;) 

Just saw this thread...

I watched the show live on my computer on BBC2 UK (it's available streaming there, too) every week from the US without using a sketchy streaming service or anything - it's really easy and no one makes any money illegally, though I suppose it's very minimally illegal? to make your computer think it's in England re a VPN...  so I'll be discrete beyond noting that, 'specially as I'm only a long-time lurker in these great forums.  I like to watch foreign TV and do it all the time, and I'm just a non-techy (well, very semi-techy) grandmother.  Can be done, anyway, and everybody is so sad about missing it.  :(

I thought GPTD was a terrific, actually - full of frustrating moments for knowledgable potters, but pitched so well for giving a general-interest audience a really interesting feel for what it's all about. The Guardian's actually given it several really nice reviews (I read the Guardian too, such an Anglophile), and it sounds as though it was pretty popular over there, which astonished me as it's such a quiet, gentle show. Sans the mean, hectic, hyper-competitive, histrionic US-style Schadenfreude that characterize US 'reality TV' I don't think it'd take off at all here.  

The UK, I've been told, values its potters more than the US does. It was fun to watch it with my daughter who has little interest in or knowledge of process at all. She was absorbed and fascinated, so there you go. Always nice to promote the art, even if it's not the finest example or the most accurate  information, seems to me.

• 1 year later...

Throwdown starts again on 2 February on BBC2.  

Hurray for UK viewers, and sorry to anyone else who can't watch it legally.

I won't be posting illegal links, but if anyone wants a list of challenges, I'll be happy to provide.

I like watching it but it does irritate me. As well as the compressed timescales they've cut it to minimise the viewing time for the throwing/making section and the camera work is very choppy so you can't really watch what they are doing, yet much slower shots for later on. Very inconsistent.

oh no. that's not good. the organizers need to figure out a better format or better challenges. i can see it fitting a tv format. not real time. i can see setting a throwing time and a trimming time and figuring out a reasonable drying time. 

i wonder if the deciding people included potters. 

i am still glad it exists. i hope by the next show they can iron out all the hiccups.

It is funny watching them try to fit ceramics into a tv schedule, they couldn't turn any of their dinner sets and made the kiln tech do a fast glaze fire and mess up some of the work.

I am surprised how poor some of them are at throwing.  It was a major part of last year's programme, you'd have thought they would have practised a bit more beforehand.

Archived