#41 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:32 PM

the last challenge will to throw with the feet.............or to make it interesting, one foot.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#42 Celia UK

Celia UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationCambridge, England

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:20 PM

In my post about American English - all the emoticons disappeared! They made it clear I was teasing all of you across the pond. I hope no one took offence.
I've been out this evening and will have to watch tonight's episode on catch up - I'll be dashing back from my volunteer morning with the Red Cross at the hospital to watch it with my feet up and a cup of tea! Not sure how you get the link but someone will no doubt post it.

#43 Celia UK

Celia UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:30 PM

Flowerdry I have to agree about wedging clay.
And Chris - I think there was some editing in there as I can't believe none of the contestants suggested the cracks were due to the quick drying. For some reason the programme producers didn't want that to be made clear - though the judges would of course have known and to be fair they didn't actually make a big deal about it in their critiques.

#44 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:26 PM

http://vodlocker.com/yawy2gieyz1u

not the best link but if you ignore the garbage on the side it works.

edit: youtube link work better: https://www.youtube....h?v=ZHt_Ve2Yo8Y

#45 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 3rd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:57 AM

Loving it!

What epic disasters

What fabulous successes

The creativity and unique visions on the basins was amazing.

Throwing a pot blindfolded... I already close my eyes to center and sometimes at different points when I am trying to "hear" the clay with my hands. I know that sounds weird but that's what it seems like.

Thank you so much for posting a link to this show.

T
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#46 Sallyd

Sallyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationLancashire,England

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:17 AM

I agree, Pugaboo, and what a lovely bunch of potters........not a super ego among them.

I could have watched all night.

#47 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland and Italy

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:40 AM

Really Evelyne - I'm so surprised! I've just watched the beginning again and can barely detect any kind of accent in his voice - Major Tom that is. The presenter (yuk!) and a couple of the others have a bit of a northern twang, a short 'a' (as in cat rather than cart) in for example 'task', but nothing very strong.
Of course if you're used to American Englishwhich isn't really English, then perhaps that's understandable. You'll have to turn on the subtitles!

Why, Celia, that is a bit harsh. American English is not real English? I hope nobody feels offended... :wacko:

For an American, already speaking "so called" English, real English is better to understand than for us aliens, for whom both kinds of English is a total foreign language. And so I am happy that Paul also hears gruff wuff ruff when he watches English series. (Thank you Paul! Welcome to the club). As for Major Tom (is that English humor??): he speaks very fast, swallows half of the sentences, speakes under the table instead of in my face and I can't read his lips anymore. Stupid me didn't know there are subtitles. Thank you for the hint!

And yes, does anyone have the link to the #2 of the series? Washbasins: how exciting.....

Evelyne

Evelyne Schoenmann
Studio: schoenmann ceramics
www.schoenmann-ceramics.ch

Advisory Board Member;
Potters Council of The
American Ceramic Society

Board Member of Swiss Ceramics Association

#48 Sallyd

Sallyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationLancashire,England

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:26 AM

Well, I'm English, and I too struggled in places to catch what the potters were saying. But hey, they're just normal folk, not trained-up TV presenters. Let's cut them some slack.

Sally

#49 Celia UK

Celia UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:02 PM

Oh Evelyn - I'm so sorry, I really didn't mean to offend! Our British humour I'm afraid! Although some Americanisms really do make the English cringe - 'gotten' for example, which you'd never hear over here. Apart from English subtitles for English programmes, that our TVs have the facility to do, I only realised about other subtitles when we were in Spain last month and my husband was scrolling through the settings on the TV. There was an English film, dubbed in Spanish and he found the way to put up English subtitles! Perhaps you could get Swiss subtitling, though if it's on the computer, rather than directly through the TV that might be pushing the technology a bit far!

'Major Tom' was not my attempt at humour, that was how the presenter referred to him and I think that was because he is ex-Army. I suspect that might have been his rank, or at least just a reference to his Army history.

To be perfectly honest I think it's amazing that so many people world wide understand and speak English, when on the whole, as a nation, we're not good at languages ourselves! I do have a smattering of French and German and will attempt basic courtesies in Spanish and Italian if I'm on holiday.

Still haven't found an hour to watch last night's episode - might just squeeze it in before going out to a pottery class this evening.

#50 Celia UK

Celia UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:45 PM

[quote name="flowerdry" post="95608" timestamp="1447169662"]Well, I'm feeling totally inadequate as I didn't catch all those sexual innuendos.  Maybe the Brits innuendos are so understated that some Americans don't get them.

Floweredry, you're very sweet! I would explain the various comments here, but I'd probably have to be too explicit and it would be edited by the moderators. Let's see if I can be subtle -

When they were preparing the clay there were references to 'slapping' and the presenter asked ...'ever your neighbour's curtains twitch...what's happening at Jane's house?'
One guy was pulling a handle and the presenter said - 'Oh Nigel, you look quite at home there (smirk, chuckle), ..... Does your wife ever.......do pottery with you?' He was then laughing - an embarrassed laugh to my mind.
Plus the very explicit replies to the question about whether pottery was better than sex etc.
I'm not a prude at all, but it just seemed so unnecessary.

#51 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:48 PM

Hmm, how to say this without getting censored….the woman making the pansy shaped basins comment to the gay fellow was way out of line. Telling a gay guy he hasn’t seen enough vajayjay’s, should have been left out. Really? I thought as a society we have moved beyond those type of comments.

On a positive note though, perhaps the series will help re-kindle interest in handmade ceramics. Having such lovely people at various stages in their development show the trials, tribulations and passion for this art should be a wonderful motivator for people to give it a go.

#52 PRankin

PRankin

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY, USA

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:10 PM

I'm not offended. I took it in the humorous spirit that it was intended. I'm enjoying reading all of your comments about the show and looking forward to seeing it when we can in the US. I don't consider these spoilers because I won't remember what was said in 6-12 months when it airs here.

Paul

#53 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:08 PM

.... Watched it on the link and enjoyed it more than the first episode ... Min, I suspect that his reply to the pansy bowl lady's comment was probably edited out ... : - ). Next episode looks like raku ... Should be fun.
Chris Campbell Pottery
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://ccpottery.com/

>TRY ... FAIL ... LEARN ... REPEAT"

" If a sufficient number of people are different, no one has to be normal "

Fredrick Bachman

#54 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:14 PM

Would be great if they gav the same amount of airspace to a skilled potter, different one/week, different nationality /week.....
Hoping and wishing..
B

#55 Celia UK

Celia UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:49 AM

I missed the comment from the Pansy lady! As you say Min - not really appropriate to be aired on the show. However, we don't know how the relationship between this group has developed and I know gay guys and girls who still make this kind of comment about themselves and amongst friends all the time, so perhaps it's part of normal culture for them?

#56 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Joel Edmondson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:17 AM

I thought the second episode was actually a lot better. Really nice stuff but now my mum is pestering me for a sink!

They had chipmunked that youtube copy to stop it being taken down so that might have helped with you not understanding. I didn't even realise the man was gay, although I do remember a man talking about his work now. Didn't come across derogatory for me just a defence to his comment that it does look 'very feminine' 

My favourite part is how they explain all the time it takes, might make the people viewing come to have more respect for ceramics.

One physical test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

gallery_23281_871_611.png gallery_23281_871_239.png gallery_23281_871_701.jpg

#57 Chilly

Chilly

those who know, teach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:16 AM

I noticed they're perpetuating the myth about trapped air causing explosions.  Had to explain the bit about lack of air hole causes improper drying, causes explosions, not the air itself, to my class-mates this morning.  Again.

Still think they're rushing the drying, although I did agree that the "industrial" one wasn't well attached - base to walls.

Think we should do the 9 tiles as a challenge here...........

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

#58 Celia UK

Celia UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:29 PM

I've heard the 'explosion in the kiln' warning many times in the past - mainly when I was in school. It always sounded very melodramatic! I've only ever had 2 pieces shatter in the kiln, on both occasions because they weren't fully dry. Not because of trapped air.

#59 flowerdry

flowerdry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:19 PM

Well now I know why the innuendos were a mystery to me....I didn't catch any of those comments.

Enjoyed the second episode...want to continue watching.

Doris Hackworth

"Promoting the joy of handmade pottery"

#60 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 3rd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:16 PM

I agree with the trapped air issue, it seems to be the go to statement for any teacher type to explain why something failed. In my limited experience have only had an air bubble cause a bloat mark where the clay was thinner on one side of a piece due to the air bubble being there. It was from one of the first times I used reclaimed clay, I'm better a wedging now so hasn't npbeen an issue since. Never had anything blow up yet (knock on wood!) but it's bound to happen at some point I am sure.

I really like the show and hope the potters stay true to themselves and not turn into typical competitors. Working in clay can be difficult enough and more than enough of a challenge for them to compete against. Next week looks like raku, I've never done raku but the preview looks exciting!

T
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users