#21 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 3rd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:03 PM

I really enjoyed watching all the different styles of working and the final product. I agree though that the cracks seemed to be due to the fast drying time to fit it into the show schedule. It will be interesting to see how the show and the potters progress.

OH and it was actually interesting to see the failures on the wheel I don't feel so bad now as I've done allll those things while at the wheel and glad to not be the only one. Lol

T
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#22 Celia UK

Celia UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationCambridge, England

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:49 AM

Must agree about the throwing failures Pugaboo - made me feel better too!!!!

I wondered if a teapot might feature sometime?

#23 Chilly

Chilly

those who know, teach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:41 AM

Must agree about the throwing failures Pugaboo - made me feel better too!!!!

I wondered if a teapot might feature sometime?

Bound to.  Body, handle, spout and lid.  Lots to think about and lots to go wrong.  Pessimist?  Who me??

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

#24 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:07 AM

I was very surprised by the throwing ... I expected everyone would at least be able to center clay!
Chris Campbell Pottery
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://ccpottery.com/

>TRY ... FAIL ... LEARN ... REPEAT"

" If a sufficient number of people are different, no one has to be normal "

Fredrick Bachman

#25 Celia UK

Celia UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:28 PM

Me too Chris, although I think the lady who left was more of a sculptor than a thrower, so perhaps she can be forgiven. However - knowing you were going on the programme, surely you'd get a bit of help beforehand and practise! After all, a couple of tips from an experienced thrower and you wonder how you ever found it so difficult - well, in my experience anyway! I was just surprised that a couple of them tried to start throwing up the walls when they clearly hadn't got the clay centred - maybe the pressure of time was getting to them, who knows?
Still looking forward to tomorrow night.

#26 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,703 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:30 PM

I was very surprised by the throwing ... I expected everyone would at least be able to center clay!

Just add the pressure of a TV camera rolling, a short time deadline, a competition where one will be handed walking papers based on your thrown items, and hosts walking around asking questions while you are centering . . . can see where something as easy as centering becomes more of a challenge. Video of those who centered without problems was left on the floor . . . not interesting to the masses viewing.

#27 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 4,271 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:11 PM

It is about what I expected. :rolleyes:

best,

...............john

John Baymore
Adjunct Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

Former Guest Professor, Wuxi Institute of Arts and Science, Yixing, China

Former President and Past President; Potters Council

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

http://www.nhia.edu/...ty/john-baymore

#28 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:59 AM

well I didn't click on the on button..........this type of television programme really makes me realise that reality means lots of different things. No time for this , reality hmmm

#29 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland and Italy

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:27 AM

I just had a 10 minutes look into the series. I must say it's very difficult for me to understand the English language. I am used to talking with Americans and have (almost) no problems to understand them. But the English?! Oh boy, I had to rewind and rewind until I understood what the muscular man, who shows the wedging first, said. Maybe some other day I will watch and try to understand the next 10 minutes....

Evelyne Schoenmann
Studio: schoenmann ceramics
www.schoenmann-ceramics.ch

Advisory Board Member;
Potters Council of The
American Ceramic Society

Board Member of Swiss Ceramics Association

#30 Celia UK

Celia UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:41 AM

Really Evelyne - I'm so surprised! I've just watched the beginning again and can barely detect any kind of accent in his voice - Major Tom that is. The presenter (yuk!) and a couple of the others have a bit of a northern twang, a short 'a' (as in cat rather than cart) in for example 'task', but nothing very strong.
Of course if you're used to American Englishwhich isn't really English, then perhaps that's understandable. You'll have to turn on the subtitles!

#31 Joseph F

Joseph F

Always Experimenting

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:02 AM

Hmm.. very interesting indeed. 

#32 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 4,271 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:34 AM

Of course if you're used to American Englishwhich isn't really English, then perhaps that's understandable. You'll have to turn on the subtitles!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

John Baymore
Adjunct Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

Former Guest Professor, Wuxi Institute of Arts and Science, Yixing, China

Former President and Past President; Potters Council

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

http://www.nhia.edu/...ty/john-baymore

#33 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 3rd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:53 AM

Now now now American English not really English! LOL

You need to talk to a northern American THEN try and talk to one of us Southerners! Now THAT is 2 different languages. hahaha Please don't anyone be insulted. Frankly I watch a lot of British TV and didn't notice any really strong accents. The word usage you have to pay attention to since the Brits use different words for stuff than we do but a few minutes in and that goes away too.

It was interesting to watch. I LOVE that during the handle competition one of the potters finishes quickly and asks if they can help others finish theirs. The host to them No. Potters are great people and I really hope the hosts don't push them into being typical competitors.

T
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#34 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:06 AM

i always use subtitles because no matter what, someone goes by in a truck at the important phrase.  they are very helpful unless you watch the news.  cannot understand how the captions cannot be copied accurately since a group of people reading the news are READING the news.  the computers never get names correctly and the whole sentence gets lost while the machine tries to catch up.  

so, who has the link to this week's episode?

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#35 flowerdry

flowerdry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:34 AM

Well, I'm feeling totally inadequate as I didn't catch all those sexual innuendos.  Maybe the Brits innuendos are so understated that some Americans don't get them.

I don't wedge clay if it's straight out of the bag, except for coning, and I don't get cracks.

Doris Hackworth

"Promoting the joy of handmade pottery"

#36 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:19 AM

Well, I'm feeling totally inadequate as I didn't catch all those sexual innuendos.  Maybe the Brits innuendos are so understated that some Americans don't get them.

I don't wedge clay if it's straight out of the bag, except for coning, and I don't get cracks.

That's one thing I got a charge out of and hope it will continue .... Seeing they have their own lists of guesses to why something happened ...

Re: the huge crack In the bowl ...." oh, that clay was not wedged long enough." .... Ummm ... we would say ... likely the bottom was not compressed well enough and it was dried too fast.
Chris Campbell Pottery
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://ccpottery.com/

>TRY ... FAIL ... LEARN ... REPEAT"

" If a sufficient number of people are different, no one has to be normal "

Fredrick Bachman

#37 Chilly

Chilly

those who know, teach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:08 PM

Me too Chris, although I think the lady who left was more of a sculptor than a thrower, so perhaps she can be forgiven. However - knowing you were going on the programme, surely you'd get a bit of help beforehand and practise! After all, a couple of tips from an experienced thrower and you wonder how you ever found it so difficult - well, in my experience anyway! I was just surprised that a couple of them tried to start throwing up the walls when they clearly hadn't got the clay centred - maybe the pressure of time was getting to them, who knows?
Still looking forward to tomorrow night.

And the biggest clue is in the name  "throw-down", I too was surprised at some of their efforts at centering.  Not that I'm any better.

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

#38 Sallyd

Sallyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationLancashire,England

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:52 PM

According to my TV Guide they're making wash basins tonight. .???

Plus, the challenge is to throw the tallest possible vase.........while blindfolded!

#39 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:09 PM

Well Neil, off to Britain with your 13.5" from 3lb clay was it?? and those beautiful hand basins.
We could have our own throw down, not put down.

#40 PRankin

PRankin

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY, USA

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:26 PM

Its funny you should say that. I have trouble understanding some British shows and movies and I complain to my wife that they aren't speaking English and I need subtitles. In the movie "Mr. Turner" all I heard was "ruff, gruff, ruff, ruff" and my wife was having a difficult time also. It's all about how and where we grew up and what our ears are used to.

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users