The Great Pottery Throw Down

NFallon

Hmm, how to say this without getting censored….the woman making the pansy shaped basins comment to the gay fellow was way out of line. Telling a gay guy he hasn’t seen enough vajayjay’s, should have been left out. Really? I thought as a society we have moved beyond those type of comments.

On a positive note though, perhaps the series will help re-kindle interest in handmade ceramics. Having such lovely people at various stages in their development show the trials, tribulations and passion for this art should be a wonderful motivator for people to give it a go.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not offended. I took it in the humorous spirit that it was intended. I'm enjoying reading all of your comments about the show and looking forward to seeing it when we can in the US. I don't consider these spoilers because I won't remember what was said in 6-12 months when it airs here.

Paul

I missed the comment from the Pansy lady! As you say Min - not really appropriate to be aired on the show. However, we don't know how the relationship between this group has developed and I know gay guys and girls who still make this kind of comment about themselves and amongst friends all the time, so perhaps it's part of normal culture for them?

I thought the second episode was actually a lot better. Really nice stuff but now my mum is pestering me for a sink!

They had chipmunked that youtube copy to stop it being taken down so that might have helped with you not understanding. I didn't even realise the man was gay, although I do remember a man talking about his work now. Didn't come across derogatory for me just a defence to his comment that it does look 'very feminine' 

My favourite part is how they explain all the time it takes, might make the people viewing come to have more respect for ceramics.

I noticed they're perpetuating the myth about trapped air causing explosions.  Had to explain the bit about lack of air hole causes improper drying, causes explosions, not the air itself, to my class-mates this morning.  Again.

Still think they're rushing the drying, although I did agree that the "industrial" one wasn't well attached - base to walls.

Think we should do the 9 tiles as a challenge here...........

I've heard the 'explosion in the kiln' warning many times in the past - mainly when I was in school. It always sounded very melodramatic! I've only ever had 2 pieces shatter in the kiln, on both occasions because they weren't fully dry. Not because of trapped air.

I agree with the trapped air issue, it seems to be the go to statement for any teacher type to explain why something failed. In my limited experience have only had an air bubble cause a bloat mark where the clay was thinner on one side of a piece due to the air bubble being there. It was from one of the first times I used reclaimed clay, I'm better a wedging now so hasn't npbeen an issue since. Never had anything blow up yet (knock on wood!) but it's bound to happen at some point I am sure.

I really like the show and hope the potters stay true to themselves and not turn into typical competitors. Working in clay can be difficult enough and more than enough of a challenge for them to compete against. Next week looks like raku, I've never done raku but the preview looks exciting!

T

YAY! Week three arrived.

Wow raku looks tricky and not something for me ( being an extremely clutzy person) even though I love the colors and all, especially of the sample piece they showed at the beginning, those colors were insane. The piece looked molten like it was a volcano captured in vase form.

I was intrigued by some of the techniques used with the slip decorating and want to try them out myself. Picture me rubbing my hands together gleefully at yet another design technique to try!

A really good show again in my opinion.

T

good show, each week it is better.  would be hard to make 10 identical long neck vases but repetition is what makes a thrower good.  

the raku kiln was neat. i kept waiting for someone to say "do not use these vases with water" but did not hear it. did anyone else

notice the raku expert was tim andrews?  wow! 

i think i know why our don don did not make it, they want a variety of skills and she is too good.

Just wanted to watch Episode 3 on youtube, but :angry:  ....

episode 2 and 3 aren't available anymore on youtube because of claimed copyright of the Little Dot Studios. Bummer! Why are they doing this? Why should people outside of the UK not being able any more to watch the videos? The more people can watch the episodes, the more people get acquainted with pottery! I object!!

Does anyone has another link to episode 3?

Evelyne

I just watched episodes 1 and 3 on you tube and enjoyed them immensely. The second episode wasn't available. My wife and I watch a lot of these creative competition shows like Face Off and Ink Master and this series is fun to watch. The various levels of skills of the contestants seems to be consistent with other series of this nature. There is no bickering, drama or nastiness between the contestants like on some of the other shows because many of those people are chosen for their personalities and to create false drama. These people are more easy going and its enjoyable to watch and just focusing on the pottery. I didn't have any difficulty understanding their version of English except for that one guy that doesn't move his upper lip.

Paul

:lol:  Yeaaaaahhhh, thanks Pugaboo for the link. Just watched Episode 3. I must admit shamefully that I was making fun about the Pottery throw down program when it started. Now I think we all can learn a lot about looking, listening, imagining, working under pressure, camaraderie and having fun with clay.

Thank you to all here who provide links to the videos! Keep them coming please....

Paul: I have problems to understand the English version of the rock star!

Evelyne

Much as I feel for those of you who are not in the UK, please be aware that those who are posting videos of BBC programmes on YouTube are committing acts of "video piracy" and they can be prosecuted.

Petition your country's TV companies to purchase the series from the BBC.  This way the beeb will be able to make more such programmes.  BBC programmes are paid for by the TV Licence Fee payers in the UK.  Not by advertisers.

Tim See just brought this up in Clay Buddies.  I had no idea.  The "pirates" are somehow able to make money off their illiegally copied material through ads.  I went to the BBC world website, there is a contact page where I requested that the show be made available to US viewers.  Sorry, I don't know how that works for other countries.

Chilly, you are right of course. It shouldn't be pirated. But if I write to our TV station and they ask me how many people would be interested in looking at people doing pottery.... :wacko: ...

And their answer would be: "we can't buy a series just for a few potters in Switzerland".

So, byebye Great pottery throw down....

Archived