Qotw: Have You Ever Taken A Video About Yourself, Showing How You Work?

Lisa,

I don't get warping less I fire too hot in the raku kiln. I dry them slow, wax the edges , and bisque them upright. The gloves were expensive , but really improve the handling and reduce the weight as in the end of a set of tongs. I had a special set of tongs made for obvara spheres. They work great.  Will do a video next time I fire.

Marcia

evelyne,  i did not see any pictures at all in the section of lisa's website where she talks about pieces that do not meet her standards.  she calls them "mutts and duds........".  when i click on the box that should go to a photo, i get a page telling me that the file cannot be found.  sorry that i cannot go back and forth or copy the exact wording but i hope you get the message i am trying to convey.  i explained why i heard music in a previous post, it was Joel's music.  i did not know there could be two videos playing at once.  

mea, i realize this is a public forum.  if no opinions are discussed, what is the point of having a forum?  didn't we just have a thread about critiques?  i did not say the work was poorly done.  joel expressed his opinion on raku and i simply said that there are other ways of working which are quicker and that i would not have kept work that did not satisfy my standards.  unlike refiring, a hammer will allow time for something else to be made in place of the first one.  and i will never agree that a bowl is a practical item to raku fire.  it is not a chawan to be treasured by people who understand it.  any raku bowl sold today will likely be misused by the second or third person who owns it and it will break.

i am glad to see a new member and welcome lisa as warmly as you do.  i envy her ability to be all things technical as well as a potter.  it is a difficult balance as she says herself.  

welcome, lisa.  you have a lovely home and a beautiful studio.  hope to see more of your things.

This is a video I made with the Framelapse app and the music is royalty-free, downloaded from a site called Incompetech. I was extremely proud of myself because I figured out how to add titles, music, and a finished result photo. This was several months ago and when I watch it I can see how much my throwing has changed.

Thank you to all who showed us videos here. I think this could be a topic to encourage people to try to video tape themselves and either keep it hidden ;) or, better still, show it to fellow potters.

The frame (or time) lapse videos are nothing for my eyes. Too fast. If mdobay and Giselle could make them slower... I'd like to see both of you working slower.

Lisa: could you please help oldlady with her problem on your website? Thank you.

Pres: I cannot open the videos on your blog. If I click on the arrow to start the video, only the next picture shows. What am I doing wrong?

Unfortunately I don't have "likes" left over for today... There are a few very good and kind posts I wanted to like.... sigh

Evelyne

Guest JBaymore

Relative to photos and videos and such.........

How websites perform can be affected by the BROWSER that someone is using to access the content.  Even huge businesses have issues this that sometimes (example- for one of my banks I have to use one browser to access anything...... the other does not function correctly).  Then there are also the user's settings within any given browser....... Flash.... Java... and so on.

So getting a typical individual potters website automatically "synced up" with all the possibilities of browser and screen format access, including the common mode for the aaaahemmmmmmm...... "younger generation"....... (smartphones and tablets) ...... can be an issue.

Most of us are too busy being potters to learn all that is needed to be a true "webmaster".

best,

..................john

Thanks John, but this time I think it was my fault, I accidentally deleted the image that was posted in the content from the main media file, and POOF! gone.  I reinstalled it and it's all ok now.  I hope!!!   I'm still in the steep learning curve with all this technology.  My fingers want to throw pots, not fly over keyboards and click on mouses...

Agree!  the time laps is a little too fast, Maybe if I can start throwing faster I wont need the time-laps lol lol.. Hope to do some more when my home studio is up and running.  Personally obsessed with watching pottery videos, its so great to see all the different techniques people use and the creativity of others.  

Thank you to all who showed us videos here. I think this could be a topic to encourage people to try to video tape themselves and either keep it hidden ;) or, better still, show it to fellow potters.

The frame (or time) lapse videos are nothing for my eyes. Too fast. If mdobay and Giselle could make them slower... I'd like to see both of you working slower.

Lisa: could you please help oldlady with her problem on your website? Thank you.

Pres: I cannot open the videos on your blog. If I click on the arrow to start the video, only the next picture shows. What am I doing wrong?

Unfortunately I don't have "likes" left over for today... There are a few very good and kind posts I wanted to like.... sigh

Evelyne

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.facebook.com/shanelspottery/videos/vb.533412070088960/870789139684583/?type=2&theater

I hope that worked. Please pay no mind to the messy basement. It was not meant to be time lapse but I must have had that setting on when I took the video. :)

Thanks for sharing Rebekah, and if you think that basement is messy, it looks like an operating room compared to my studio!  And how do you stay so clean at the wheel.  I really enjoyed watching you throw and I think my students would get alot out of a video such as yours.  Thanks again.

I did a video once for appling to survivor many years ago-it was called -old guys rock.It was about 7 years ago when they where going to Palau-I wanted to go back-The video started with a raku pot being taken from kiln to flaming trash can with dry ice in water bioling for extra effects.It is pottery related

• 4 months later...

Many years ago when I was a younger old man, I had just started making primitive pottery when I met an Israeli Air Force Officer who was also taking pottery. He was interested in making pottery in the wilderness as part of survival, so he asked if I'd make some pots from start to finish, while he taped it with a VHS recorder. So the next day we went to the creek, dug some clay, wedged it, made a couple of bowls, and fired them behind the ceramic dept. So, I guess in some box in Israel is à tape of me...I never saw a finished product...I remember the heat index was above 100 degrees, and to get any wetter than I was, you'd have to go swimming with all your clothes on!!!

So the answer to the question of the week is...I never taped myself, but someone else did! :)

See ya,

Alabama

I've been recently making short videos of myself making pottery to post on Facebook. I usually have the camera behind the pot facing me while I throw, trim or carve a piece in different stages of the process. I look so ridiculously dorky concentrating on what I'm doing. My face and mouth make all kinds of unconscious, uncontrollable strange movements I was too embarrassed to post them. So I forced myself to try to look more normal while working but couldn't focus on the the work. Someday I'll figure it out, so yes, I've taken videos but have never shown them to anyone.

Mark, I've applied to Survivor many times featuring my many "talents" but they were not pottery related. I once skated into the ocean fully clothed with all my protective gear and skates.

Hi Paul:  In regards to your unconscious, uncontrollable strange movements, I do the same thing, mostly stick my tongue out the side of my mouth the way little kids do when they concentrate.  Not the most flattering facial expression on the planet.

Archived