#21 rayaldridge

rayaldridge

Once and future potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNW Florida and the North Country of New York

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:56 PM

Chris, have you got a link to one of those strainers?  Sounds like something to look into!

#22 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:52 AM

They are everywhere ... and range in price from $6-15 depending on how upscale the store is.
Look for loose leaf tea strainers or infusers ... For some reason it costs more when they call it an infuser.

http://www.uptontea....tegory=Infusers

If you scroll down you will see they also come in various sizes at this place. I own both stainless and plastic and use both ... There is no flavor transfer from the plastic mesh ones.
Chris Campbell Pottery
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://ccpottery.com/

>TRY ... FAIL ... LEARN ... REPEAT"

" If a sufficient number of people are different, no one has to be normal "

Fredrick Bachman

#23 cathgill

cathgill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationBuffalo NY and southern Ontario

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:26 PM

i have done several child sets as well as these snowman ones

Oh I cannot get image to attach

#24 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg,Manitoba,Canada

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:31 PM

My handles don't get hot and they are clay. You pull them from the back end opposite the spout.

See gallery.

TJR.

#25 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:23 PM

They are everywhere ... and range in price from $6-15 depending on how upscale the store is.
Look for loose leaf tea strainers or infusers ... For some reason it costs more when they call it an infuser.

http://www.uptontea....tegory=Infusers

If you scroll down you will see they also come in various sizes at this place. I own both stainless and plastic and use both ... There is no flavor transfer from the plastic mesh ones.

This may be the way for me as I haven't touched teapots since I made a batch , one of those days , when out of the glaze firing came teapots .. I had not put the holes from the body to the spout...how could I have not noticed this esp. when glazing?????? I am still cringing at this ridiculously unobservant time

Perhaps This could be a posting on its own. How unobservant can one be.

#26 rayaldridge

rayaldridge

Once and future potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNW Florida and the North Country of New York

Posted 18 September 2015 - 11:54 AM

Babs, I have to admit that the teapot I posted above has a serious functional flaw, due to me not paying attention.  I used to make sunken lids for my teapots, which solved the problem of lids falling out of the gallery when pouring out the last drops of tea-- because it lowered the center of gravity of the lid.

But recently, I've been making domed lids because I think they look better-- they seem to complete the round form of the pot better than a sunken lid.  To deal with the CoG problem, I throw them with deep skirts, as you can see in the pictures above.  That lowers the CoG to the point that the lids won't fall out.  However, you need to poke a hole in the skirt near the top, or else when you put the lid on, the air trapped in the skirt pushes a substantial amount of tea out the spout. I forgot to do that.

Teapots are tricky.  There are so many considerations that contribute to good function.  That's why I like to look at teapots, because the form is difficult enough that the potter's skills are obvious.  In this case, the goof was obvious the first time I filled the pot and put the lid on.

#27 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:28 PM

IMO you should always put a finger on the lid when pouring, so that the lid doesn't fall off. The long flange does help, but I don't like that it's all wet and drippy when you take the lid off, plus it just looks goofy and inelegant to me. Another option is to put a locking nub on the lid flange, but then customers have a habit of yanking on the lid to get it off, breaking the nub and/or the flange. So I just make a normal sized lid flange and assume people will be smart enough to know that the lid will fall off when they tip it over. (I hope that doesn't sound too snobby)

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

[email protected]

#28 GEP

GEP

Moderator / full time potter ^6 stoneware

• Moderators
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:41 PM

Don't forget about side handles! These are sturdy, comfortable, don't get in the way. Only downside is that left-handers can't use this.

Attached Files

Mea Rhee
Good Elephant Pottery
http://www.goodelephant.com

#29 Rae Reich

Rae Reich

Rae - Unusual Clay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:41 PM

Don't forget about side handles! These are sturdy, comfortable, don't get in the way. Only downside is that left-handers can't use this.

Surely you make a few left-handers? Lefties are aesthetes, too!

#30 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:48 PM

Ceramic overhead handles are harder to fit in the microwave. Uhhhhh. . . I know some of you purist tea connies out there cringe at the thought of tea in a microwave, but name a faster way to heat water in a teapot. . . and no I do not put mine on the stove! :)  I put my water in the pot, add a bag or two when lazy, and put it into the microwave for 2.5 to 3 minutes. Let it sit for 2-3 more and pour. If I am not lazy I put the water in the pot, place in microwave, and while it is heating put some loose tea in a teaball, and add to the pot afterwards for 2-5 minutes. All depending on the tea, and the way I want it that day. No, no sugar, or cream, or other in my tea thank you.

best,

Pres

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . . http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#31 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:28 PM

As a lifetime tea drinker I have to mention that all that work on making those holes to catch tea leaves is of questionable value ...
Well, unless you are having your fortune told. : - )
... the smaller leaves come through to the cup anyhow .... except when you are trying to rinse the pot clean ... then they stick in the holes like magnets.
Also, we don't all drink the full leaf teas that would actually get caught ... there are many smaller cut tea leaves that will zip right past your efforts,
Also, I prefer to get rid of the leaves once my tea has steeped correctly ... Those bits that stay behind keep brewing to a bitter taste.
Chris Campbell Pottery
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://ccpottery.com/

>TRY ... FAIL ... LEARN ... REPEAT"

" If a sufficient number of people are different, no one has to be normal "

Fredrick Bachman

#32 GEP

GEP

Moderator / full time potter ^6 stoneware

• Moderators
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:49 AM

Surely you make a few left-handers? Lefties are aesthetes, too!

This summer, a customer gave me a great idea, which is to make just one lefty version. It will probably take forever to sell it, but left-handers will know I don't discriminate. And if I happen to sell it, it will really make a left-handers day!

Mea Rhee
Good Elephant Pottery
http://www.goodelephant.com

#33 Dragonleah

Dragonleah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:58 AM

This is my very first attempt at a teapot! Funny this forum just happened to pop up while I'm working on it! Not sure what I'm going to glaze but it gives me vibes of Alice in Wonderland somehow so I'm thinking black and white checkered with red handles??? Any thoughts?
Attached File  20150919_085003.jpg   52.85KB   7 downloads

#34 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:53 AM

Oh don't worry about us lefties. We've grown accustomed to using things in "Your" world...
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#35 Chilly

Chilly

those who know, teach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

Oh don't worry about us lefties. We've grown accustomed to using things in "Your" world...

As a "long-time some things leftie" and a recent "leftie through injury" I so feel for permanent lefties.  Lefties rock.

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

#36 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:18 PM

A lot of us that taught, have had to do both. I would often do a drawing demo when challenged with the left/opposite hand. Throwing demonstrations were much the same, even though I could not throw as well, I could at least accomplish 9 with 3. Usually shut up the "I can't do it that way because I am left handed". Always told the kids "Leave the can'ts outside the door"!

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . . http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#37 joebwv

joebwv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:02 AM

here is my favorite

Attached Files

#38 Jeff Longtin

Jeff Longtin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:22 PM

As I often give mold making advice I'll share the form that brought me to mold making in the first place. (From a passion for wheel throwing.) The original teapot was much larger. This smaller version took a few weeks to make.

Attached Files

#39 flowerdry

flowerdry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:35 AM

Dragonleah, that is an awesome first teapot.  Take care with the lower edge of the spout.  This one might be a tad low.  In fact, in my mind I moved the entire spout up a bit on the pot and it seemed to fit the perkyness of the handle and lid.  You've got a lot going on with this pot and I picture it with a more muted glaze.  But, of course, that's just me....

Doris Hackworth

"Promoting the joy of handmade pottery"

#40 shead34

shead34

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:46 AM

hello. my name is Shea Dogget im new on here so i would like to introduce myself. i've been a potter for a little over 12 months . i think i was a potter in a few past lives though because it has all come very natural to me. im a member of the Barry Brown clay studio in Corpus Christi Texas. so here  a few teapots i've made recently. its very nice to meet yall . ok it keeps saying my file size is too big . if people would like to see all my pots you can go to my facebook page just look up shea doggett . i want to figure out how to fix this problem though becouse i would love to contribute to the community and meet new potters and hopefully swap ideas and recipes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users