#1 rayaldridge

rayaldridge

Once and future potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNW Florida and the North Country of New York

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:39 PM

I have to admit that I have a lot of curiosity about my fellow forum members and the sort of work they're doing.  That being the case, I thought I'd post a few pictures of a teapot that came out of the kiln a couple days ago, and ask if others here would be willing to post pictures of their teapots as well.

I especially like to see the teapots other potters make because I think it's one of those forms that require a certain level of skill to carry off.  It's a commonly-held point of view that if you can make a teapot, you can probably make whatever else you want to make.  Teapots are complicated structures, function-wise, and require a fair amount of thought and/or experience to make well.

On the other hand, there are very accomplished potters who don't choose to make any teapots at all, because they require a lot of time to put together, compared to other pots.  It's hard to find a decent handmade teapot for under a hundred bucks, and that probably doesn't fairly represent the amount of labor it takes to make a teapot.  But for journeyman potters like me, I think making teapots is a good exercise for building skills and insight into the form.

Anyway, here's my teapot.  I like this one because it developed a lot more crystallization on one side than the other, so it's like having two teapots in one.

Attached Files

#2 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,310 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:27 PM

These are decades old ones-no new ones easy to find photo wise

Mark

Attached Files

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#3 Diesel Clay

Diesel Clay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 13 September 2015 - 12:40 AM

Here's one from last Christmas.

Attached Files

#4 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Joel Edmondson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:09 AM

Only ever made one teapot, don't have a photo with it finished. Terrible handle. Teapots seem far too complicated, and I don't really like tea.

Treepot  ^_^

1424473_218277891683106_275627901_n.jpg?

One physical test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

gallery_23281_871_611.png gallery_23281_871_239.png gallery_23281_871_701.jpg

#5 PRankin

PRankin

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY, USA

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:41 AM

Here is one of the teapots I had to make for my ceramics class assignments a few years ago. I haven't made any since then.

Paul

Attached Files

#6 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:23 AM

High Bridge, Careful what you say, your government might be listening! Talk like that may make you seem unpatriotic... Hehehe

I don't regularly do teapots. I made a coiple, when I started teaching, just for the practice. And I've helped students make a coiple since.

I did one last Winter, as part of a child's set for my daughter's Christmas present.

http://community.cer...d-box-exterior/
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#7 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 3,179 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:30 AM

I am working on some now for an order for Christmas. I hope to have ten done next month. I'll post then. Some of you have seen teapots of mine on my blog. Glaze changes will be included on the new ones.

best,

Pres

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . . http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#8 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:33 AM

Glazing some teapots tomorrow, sold teapots in the past but I don't have any photos of them.  The teapots I am working on right now are pinch and coiled built with clear on the inside and Mimbres designs on the outside.  A little time consuming but I'm not a production potter.   Denice

#9 vinks

vinks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationIndia/Singapore

Posted 13 September 2015 - 11:36 PM

This is my first ever small little teapot i made during the initial stages of my pottery making in 2012.......have nt made any after that.I suppose i need to give a hand on it..

Attached File  teapot 12.jpg   57.14KB   22 downloads

Vinks!

Keep Smiling!!

#10 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,050 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:02 AM

Attached File  Teapot-Blue-Stripes.jpg   214.56KB   24 downloadsAttached File  Teapot-Boji-Dog-Breath.jpg   201.39KB   23 downloadsAttached File  Teapot-Green-Stripes.jpg   243.1KB   21 downloadsAttached File  Teapot-Cream-Stripes.jpg   170.44KB   15 downloads

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

[email protected]

#11 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:56 PM

Stop showing off Neil...hehe...
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#12 Joseph F

Joseph F

Always Experimenting

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:05 PM

That last one looks familiar.... hmmmpphhh.. beautiful stuff everybody. I have never made a teapot. Maybe one day. 

#13 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,703 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:04 PM

So, I notice many of you use the pre-made handles for your teapots . . . for any particular reason?

#14 Diesel Clay

Diesel Clay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:10 PM

So, I notice many of you use the pre-made handles for your teapots . . . for any particular reason?

It eats up a lot of kiln space to do a pulled overhand handle like that. If you have overhanging forms like a wide bowl with a narrow foot, you can fill up the space with smaller items. Harder to get things in the void above a pot. Personally I dislike the cane handles, which is why I covered it a bit. Not an ideal soloution, but better than leaving it.

#15 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,050 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:26 PM

I prefer the look and feel of an overhand handle, rather than a side handle, and overhand clay handles are a pain to make, take up a lot of space in the kiln, break easily during shipping, and make it difficult to clean out the pot. The cane handles fold over to the side for cleaning and shipping, and never break. I also like the look of the two different materials.

I've heard snobs who say that you should make your own cane handles, but I am of the opinion that I am a clay worker, not a cane handle maker. I'll leave that to the pros, just like many artists don't do their own framing or make their own brushes. I'm helping to support another craft.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

[email protected]

#16 Diesel Clay

Diesel Clay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:31 AM

I just haven't found a cane handle I really like yet. I like the fancy diy versions, but I agree with Neil about not needing to make everything yourself. There are limits to the things I have time to learn how to make.

#17 rayaldridge

rayaldridge

Once and future potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNW Florida and the North Country of New York

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:49 AM

I used to make all my teapots with pulled over-the-top handles, because I felt that they were prettier than cane handles.  Unfortunately, I was so convinced of this that I never bothered to try cane handles until recently.

Someone who was very knowledgeable about tea asked me to make a teapot for him with a cane handle.  So I did, and I decided that I liked the cane handle a lot.  It's comfortable, light, less vulnerable to breakage, gives better space usage in the kiln.

But here's a teapot with a pulled handle.

Attached Files

#18 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,310 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:22 AM

Clay handles break so easy.-
I still pull clay ones on my English style teapots-they attach to the side like a mug.I only make them for salt fire-not production work.
No photos.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#19 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:14 PM

Here is an image of my current favorite 'Bilbro' teapot which I think was meant to be a coffee pot ... But it holds exactly two mugs of tea so in my house, it's a teapot.

Beside it is the most wonderful invention for loose tea drinkers ... A mesh basket that fits into a wide range of teapots ... just make your opening between 2 1/4 inches and 3 ... then you don't have to worry about all that spout/holes stuff. Stock some to sell with the pots.

Now the reason I don't use teapots with overhead handles is you cannot get these in or out. Also, if they have not made the lid with a good handle, it's a pain to get it off for filling and emptying/rinsing.

Attached Files

Chris Campbell Pottery
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://ccpottery.com/

>TRY ... FAIL ... LEARN ... REPEAT"

" If a sufficient number of people are different, no one has to be normal "

Fredrick Bachman

#20 Rae Reich

Rae Reich

Rae - Unusual Clay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:20 PM

Also, as a practical matter, bamboo/wood handles do not get as hot as clay. Unbreakable is good+++, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users