Plate Stand For Glazeing

I was thinking of stacking a larger plate above a smaller one by placing it on 3 or 4 shelf supports. I was wondering if this will work with a cone 6 firing or will it sag and warp if it is not fully supported. The plates where bisque fired to 04 first. I have a few plates to do and they eat up a lot of kiln space.

Darn just saw the typo in the topic header and can't edit it

ronfire, you can correct the title by using "Full Editor" on your original post.  second typo is the word "where" instead of "were bisque fired".  don't know why this is such a common one.

if you place 3 posts to hold a larger plate, it might work but will depend on all those usual things, thickness of plate, placement of posts, etc.  the problem i see is the support will prevent glazing wherever it touches the plate.  tiny spurs in commercial kilns are one thing, how can you support your plate on a tiny spur on top of a post at cone 6?

Small homemade shelves in different sizes allow shallow things like plates to be fired as a stack rather than spread out over a whole shelf.  You cut a triangular shape out of thickish chipboard and place it on a smooth surface and pound the mixture into it. The shelf mixture is 50% fireclay and 50% stoneware grog in a mixture of sizes from dust to little chunks. Fire a cone higher than you are going to use it. Perhaps find someone who fires to cone 9 or 10. The more they are fired the better they are, because mullite develops with every firing.

Earthfan, would like to learn more about your shelves. Would fire bricks or kiln bricks considered fireclay. Could grind some bricks up and mix with my cone 6 clay work. I could run a set off and fire them to cone 7 or higher to make some. Might be worth running the kiln just to make them .

Any ground up brick would be considered grog, not fireclay. Fire clay is its own thing, kind of like kaolin or ball clay. Fire clay is usually a highly impure, highly refractory kind of clay that often a component of things like brick, refractory castable that you would use to build a kiln arch, and some people put it in their cone ten stoneware bodies that will go in wood kilns and the like. it's cheap like borscht in our part of the world, and easy to come by. Greenbarn has it.

Archived