Emerging Artists Becoming A Business

Hello all,

I am currently a senior, WOOHOO, at Maryville College in Tennessee. I am graduating with my Bachelor of Fine Arts with a Concentration in Ceramics and my Bachelors of Business Management. Right now I am working on my thesis with my business and art advisors. I was wondering if anyone out there would be willing to volunteer for me to interview them about their practices as an artists, because as artists, we are the ones who run the business, produce the work, pay the bills, and all the other functions of life. I will not ask for any financial information or your tricks of the trade because that is your business and none of mine.

Just as a note, my thesis focuses on what business model is best for emerging artists. So I am looking to find out the benefits and disadvantages of each business model. If you are local, I would love to interview you in person; however, if you are not, I would be more than happy to interview you via email, phone call, Facebook message anything.

I feel like this is my chance to show the business world that artists and creative thinkers are the ones who make the new businesses that emerge in the local economy. So if you are interested, then please let me know and I will fill you in more on what my thesis is about!

Thanks!

I don't think the basics of a well-formed, well-researched, business plan for an artist/studio are any different than for any other commercial endeavor. And a sound business plan is essential. You can search the Forums (all) for discussions involving business approaches---here is one: http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/6482-factors-in-determining-a-successful-pottery-business/?hl=%2Bbusiness+%2Bplan&do=findComment&comment=61553

• 3 weeks later...

You might find Paul Blais's podcast helpful.  He interviews potters specifically, but many of them will talk about how the got started, and how they transitioned into full time artists. 

You might also have better luck getting interviews by emailing artists directly through their websites.

I'm actually very interested in this topic myself because I'm just getting started taking my art seriously.  It seems like a really broad topic for a thesis, so I'm curious if you're narrowing it down by type of art, region, or generation?  It seems like what would have worked for a potter getting started in Montana the 80s is probably different than what will work for a jeweler in Australia today.  

Also, you seem to imply that the business world doesn't think that artists and creative thinkers are the ones creating new local businesses ... this impression is different than mine.  It seems to me that it's generally acknowledged that creative types are the ones most likely to start new local businesses.  Perhaps you're from a more big city corporate area than me with a lot of people who open businesses to make money without actually caring what kind of business it is?

there is a lot of info here in the many posts made by several potters who have been successful in working with clay over many years.  check out Mark Cortright, GEP, and dirt roads pottery first, there are many more.  read what they say first so your questions to whomever you finally talk to will have more focus.  potters who are successful are just as busy as any other CEO.  good luck.

Archived