What's The Best Way To Separate 200 Mesh Silica From Common Sand

jrgpots

I live on top of red sand dunes. They are just down the road. I want to use the red sand in a "local" glaze. What would be most effecient way to separate out the 200 mesh grains? I thought about

1. washing the sand through filter material to collect the smaller particles.

2. Aerosolize And collect the dust through a filter. (Not my first choice.)

3. ball mill the sand.

4. Your idea.

help,

Jed

Are you sure there is a fine fraction?  Some sand doesn't have that much dust.

You don't really need 200 mesh material to add it to a glaze-- something a little coarser will still work, especially in an active glaze.

My first thought was that perhaps you can use a sluice box to remove the heavier grains, if the fine fraction is light enough to be carried in flowing water.  Run a sandy volume of water through the sluice box and collect the water that makes it to the bottom, dry it out, and use.

This is purely theoretical, I hasten to add.  I don't know if it would really work.

Are you sure there is a fine fraction?  Some sand doesn't have that much dust.

You don't really need 200 mesh material to add it to a glaze-- something a little coarser will still work, especially in an active glaze.

My first thought was that perhaps you can use a sluice box to remove the heavier grains, if the fine fraction is light enough to be carried in flowing water.  Run a sandy volume of water through the sluice box and collect the water that makes it to the bottom, dry it out, and use.

This is purely theoretical, I hasten to add.  I don't know if it would really work.

The sand is suppose to have 20-30% 200 mesh or smaller particles. The local geotech guru assures me it is there.

Jed

My answer was if you want 200 mesh material dry sieve it with 200 mesh screen-if its something else like 20% in the same mix I'm out of ideas.

I use 200 mesh and 325 mesh materials almost every week. They are all dry when I get them in bags.

If you are washing to get the big stuff out gather the floaters and sieve them wet as they are wet at that point.This will take some water running.

For some reason I thought this sand was dry when collected?Dry will be easier

good luck

Mark

The sand is suppose to have 20-30% 200 mesh or smaller particles.

That leaves 70-80% to sieve out.  Maybe worth considering taking out

some of this fraction with a larger/coarser/stronger sieve. This might also

help break down any larger clumps before meeting the 200 mesh sieve.

I will do the stepped sieve approach. The sand as dry as could be with no clumps. The majority of the grains are small to start with (about 40 mesh) and a beatiful orange color from iron oxide. It comes from thered sandstone in the area. I'm curious to see what type of base glaze I can make with it.

Thanks for your help.

Jed

once you have the sand at the proper size, how will you use it in a glaze, as a substitute for the silica?

Yes, I will substitute it for silica. At least that's the starting point. I think it has about 2 to 4% iron oxide. I think it will melt to an amber transparent glass...

It's fun to play.

Jed

For me making clay and mining materials was in my distant past-The magic bullet was I was young and had yet to realize all that took time and was murder on my body. Long ago I got the idea that clay and materials where very cheap and the only reason to make my own was total control-but even that was very hard work.

I caved long ago and buy my clay and just order what is mined for industrial purpose-This is enough to keep me busy with experimentaion the rest of my ceramic life.

Never owned a ball mill and never want to-just a personal thing.Life is short and I choose my battles and milling is not one of them.I have enough of them with glaze making.

Mark

Archived