Anyone Have Experience With Olympic 1214E 120V Electric Raku Kiln?

Jennifer5555

wow! that is expensive. I use propane and have 2 kilns. I get my insulation on Ebay. There are many resources to help you build a raku kiln.

I have a description in my gallery.http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/image/1441-the-strap-construction-for-raku-kiln/

and my website

http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

Marci

No reason it wouldn't work, as just about any kiln can get to raku temps. However, I would be concerned about how quickly a 120 volt kiln will be able to heat up to temp. I would call Olympic and ask them how quickly it heats up. The other issue is that thing is tiny, only good for one pot at a time, or possibly 3 cup-sized pots. It could take you all day to fire the pots it takes an hour to make.

@ Thanks Marcia for your thoughts.   Unfortunately, our neighborhood's deed restriction, and the code enforcement people for our city do not allow natural gas or propane kilns to be used because of safety concerns for neighbors.   So it's electric or nothing.

@Neil:   Good thought on the rate of heating.   We have a fantastic JenKen 120V kiln which goes up to Cone 6 which was a prototype of theirs bought at Las Vegas Glass Show several years ago.   Unfortunately my daughter has hijacked it for use at her house.

Marcia:   

If you are going to stay in Texas, the smartest thing to do is buy/rent a property outside incorporated cities, because many cities in Texas do not allow the burning of anything outside.   Even then if a property is in "unincorporated county territory" some home builders/subdividers record deed restrictions which forbid outside burning. 

Even more extreme are cities in other states.   For example in Nevada and California some counties/cities require "Air Quality Management Permits" for kilns, while others exempt them.   Most cities in those states have an absolute ban on burning anything other than a fire place...and new fireplaces have been made illegal.    And again, you have to read deed restrictions for any property.

Generally, you want to avoid any neighborhood which has a homeowners association! 

Archived