Drip- Free Pitcher Spouts

Post a picture of one of your pitchers as a starting point.

Pitchers spout need to have a proper curve to the spout, and a helpful light groove from the top of the belly through the neck to the spout to help with flow. At the same time a sharp spout will cut drips. An alternative to this that works is splitting the rim/lip into two edges before making the spout to cut the drip with the first edge, and catch the slight drip with the second.

best,

Pres

I agree with Pres. I use different words. Like a throat the the lip from the belly. There also needs to be a sharp edge on the spout. 

as an alternative to the double edge,. Take a look at Robin Hopper's book, Functional Pottery,  for great tips on balance, and the form of hands to grip various pottery forms.

Marcia

A Potter's Workbook by Clary Illian has a good chapter on pitchers also. She looks at the part of the pitcher that holds the liquid and the part that delivers, handle placement in relation to pitcher volume, rims, spouts and aesthetics.

I have found that leaving a small area just under the lip of the spout glaze-free helps to eliminate drips. After applying glaze to bisqueware, I wipe away a small area of glaze from under the very edge of the spout before firing or I wax that spot prior to glazing. Usually just 1/4 - 1/2 inch is enough (depending on how large the piece is.)

A ceramist friend of mine told me that there is a technique where you rub some oil under the spout on the finished piece and then drips are gone. But I don't remember the specifics though. Of course you still need to have a nice curve and shape. However, as pointed out on this article, the kind of glaze you use will also make a difference in whether it will drip or no.

I have found that leaving a small area just under the lip of the spout glaze-free helps to eliminate drips. After applying glaze to bisqueware, I wipe away a small area of glaze from under the very edge of the spout before firing or I wax that spot prior to glazing. Usually just 1/4 - 1/2 inch is enough (depending on how large the piece is.)

Thanks Shelly, do you remove the glaze from the outside of the pitcher?

• 2 years later...

It would be helpful if some of you would post images to illustrate what you're talking about, especially if using a descriptive term that isn't universal.  Also, there are repeated references to making the lip "sharp". What does this mean...thin? angular??

I can't imagine what is meant by "splitting the rim into two edges".

Thanks for any clarification.

Archived