Peter's Metallic Black Gloss, Wany Info On This Glaze?

Rex Johnson

I thought I'd found it in Linda Arbuckle database on a google search uut that's a big database to shuffle thru.

Looking for comments and results on this particular. glaze.

Interested in how it fires both at ^5 and ^6+.

I'm looking for a really shiny black that I can reduce or oxidize.

Peter's Metallic Black Gloss  ^5-^10

Color: Black  /  Surface: Gloss
Custer feldspar       78.84
Colemanite             10.69
Whiting                     5.51
EPK                          4.96
Copper carbonate    4.19
Manganese dioxide  4.19
Cobalt carbonate      2.09        Comments:  A really great glossy black. 

Guest JBaymore

With that level of metallic coloring oxides (over 10%), I'd guess that it is going to precipitate out some micro-crystalline materials onto the surface in any slow cooling.... hence the "metallic" part of the glaze name.  It'll almost for sure not be a truly glossy surface if it is slow cooled. Probably look sort of like gunmetal.

If it even can be a true gloss surface....... crash cool it.  In a hex type electric kiln (low levels of insulation, small thermal mass) the kiln might cool fast enough in it's normal cycle to keep it glossy.  Experiment.

Also, it is  not one I'd personally use on food contact surfaces due to the saturation of coloring oxides.

best,

.....................john 

Forgot, gas kiln. Mostly for decoration.

A high gloss would be desirable, but a metallic finish would be very usable too.

I'm looking for an RIO iron red glaze that does the same metallic surface as well...

Here's an example from Pine Mills Pottery ( this is wood fired at ^12), I'd like to use black and an RIO glaze together to experiment with...

5d23692d641cfa3428c5e4fcabf9784e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

With that level of metallic coloring oxides (over 10%), I'd guess that it is going to precipitate out some micro-crystalline materials onto the surface in any slow cooling.... hence the "metallic" part of the glaze name.  ....john 

Right about the metallic finish there John. Glossy but has a lustery finish. Cooled fairly slow.

Archived