Pyrite Stoneware

marcello

Hello

I would like to make a stoneware similar to the one i am attaching here as a picture. Can anyone give me some advise? I guess the black spots can be obtained by adding... maybe pyrite?

Does anyone have some experience in making similar clays? Or can advise a book to study?

Many thanks

Marcello

post-64537-0-37866300-1441115124_thumb.jpeg

post-64537-0-37866300-1441115124_thumb.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

If you're firing in reduction, a stoneware body that contains fireclay will typically have iron speckles. The degree to which it speckles will depend on the fireclay. If I remember right, a long time ago when I was mixing my own clay I used Muddox #8 because it gave larger speckles than AP Green or Imco fireclays.

If you're firing in oxidation, you have to add something to get the similar effect since the iron present in fireclays won't show as speckles in oxidation. Most commercial clay bodies use granular manganese, although any granular high iron material would probably work fine, too. If you don't want to mix your own clay body, pretty much all clay suppliers have cone 6 speckled stoneware bodies available. My students use Standard 112, which is a wonderful body to work with.

Archived