Buying Powdered Glazes

ggoodman

So I founf some one local listing glazes for sale she couldnt tell me what she had or how much she wanted. I have since leanred it was her husbands hobby and she know nothing about it. I walked into a shed with a wall of bins of powdered glazes with names ive never heard of 4 kilns 2 wheels and molds everywhere.  most of the bins just have color names no directions fo rhow to mix.

Id love to give some of the glazes a try but ive no idea of what to pay her for them. some of the bins have lbs of glaze others ounces of powdered glazes.

Looks like the husband died suddenly as she still has some pieces of his that are not fired. I told her I would try and help out and fire them if we can figure out the clay and glazes.

Thanks for you thoughts and advice.

Regards,

GG

Ask her if her husband had any kind of notebook for his glazes, or if he kept files on the computer. I don't know anyone that has all their recipes just in their head. If her husband died suddenly (and recently) it likely would not have been the first thing on her mind. If the glazes are premix, it's typical to just add water until the desired consistency is achieved. You can mess with things like specific gravity as part of the intermediate to master class.

Have you some of the glaze names, or names off the bins on the wall? Are any of them individual chemicals? Also, as certain things can be specific to your region, can you tell us where you are?

She may have some of his pottery around which could be a starting point to look at what he was doing like temperature. If she has to dump the chemicals ,it will be expensive for her because they will have to be tested as hazardous waste even if they are not.

Maybe that could depend on where she lives, but around Cleveland area and in Montana this is true.

Marcia

If the molds laying around are purchased molds he probably worked in the low fire area.  I would start out testing them at cone 05 and see what happens.  If they are handmade molds it could be any cone, the wheels and kilns may suggest he could of also been working in C6.    Denice

• 2 weeks later...

Archived