What Do You Use To Grind Glaze Off Of Your Pots

Flat Bottoms seem to grind fine, I have to grind into the center of the bottom but not grind away from the flat bottom center.  I do Goblets and when I try to grind the base of the stem, it always breaks. It seems more like its a vibration that breaks it over fisically being broken by force. I've dressed the grinding wheel, it may be to course(what grit have you people found to work?) Anyway all suggestions will be welcome

diamond flat lap disc stuck to the wheelhead with a pancake of clay. needs to be kept wet while grinding so I dribble water onto it with a sponge. mine is a few years old so I'm not positive but I think it's about a 120 grit

51GgOPS0gUL.jpg

diamond flat lap disc stuck to the wheelhead with a pancake of clay. needs to be kept wet while grinding so I dribble water onto it with a sponge. mine is a few years old so I'm not positive but I think it's about a 120 grit

51GgOPS0gUL.jpg

That"s great, I used them with blown glass but they are quite slow aren't they. What size is that. Do you have a source for them. I see a lot from China that are very reasonable.

That"s great, I used them with blown glass but they are quite slow aren't they. What size is that. Do you have a source for them. I see a lot from China that are very reasonable.

It's not as fast as a bench grinder but I've never lost a pot using the diamond lap. I'm guessing you could get a coarser grit if you wanted to go faster. Mine is an 8" one, I bought it online from an American manufacturer. I paid around 40- for it at the time, can't remember the name of the place, sorry. I'm not so sure I would buy one of the really cheap ones that are on ebay.

I have many things as a productiopn potter to grind with-I think Mins is your best bet for stem ginding.

I use diamond hand pads and two dremel tools each with different bits like Neil said use the green silicone carbide bits in these.

I also use a bench grinder aagin with the green silicone grinding wheel (mine is 8 inch)These green carbide abrasives stay cooler and are tough enough for fire cone 10 porcelain glaze and clay work.They cost more than other wheels (they are a bit harder to run down-Axner sells the 6 inch)but they are really your only choice for clay work.Diamond is best green silcone carbide is second best. I also have a lot of dremel dimond bits.

Mark

Thanks Mark ,can you suggest a grit for different choices. I've lost more in production grinding in one hour , than any one of these Items will cost.  I just looked at Axner a couple of weeks ago and realises that it was time to raise my prices, Things are getting expensive. Haven't watched that side of this operation lately. So It was a surprise, it made me check out all prices .

Thanks Jon

I have many things as a productiopn potter to grind with-I think Mins is your best bet for stem ginding.
I use diamond hand pads and two dremel tools each with different bits like Neil said use the green silicone carbide bits in these.
I also use a bench grinder aagin with the green silicone grinding wheel (mine is 8 inch)These green carbide abrasives stay cooler and are tough enough for fire cone 10 porcelain glaze and clay work.They cost more than other wheels (they are a bit harder to run down-Axner sells the 6 inch)but they are really your only choice for clay work.Diamond is best green silcone carbide is second best. I also have a lot of dremel dimond bits.
Mark

On a bench grinder I use an 80 grit-I get my 8 inch mine from a few sources like Graingers

Axner sells an 6 inch  one-

http://www.axner.com/green-wheel.aspx

The dremel tools are not listed by grit

the diamond hand pads are 100 grit

from toolocity.com

I think Bruce listed this place and I have ordered several times since he told us about them

here

http://www.toolocity.com/diamond-hand-polishing-pads.aspx

I always finish with a dremel tool after the bench grinder. If you are losing pots you have the wrong abrasives and doing it to fast. I rarely loose any pot from grinding-But I also know when not to grind and throw away as its a lost cause .

Mark

On a bench grinder I use an 80 grit-I get my 8 inch mine from a few sources like Graingers

Axner sells an 6 inch  one-

http://www.axner.com/green-wheel.aspx

The dremel tools are not listed by grit

the diamond hand pads are 100 grit

from toolocity.com

I think Bruce listed this place and I have ordered several times since he told us about them

here

http://www.toolocity.com/diamond-hand-polishing-pads.aspx

I always fining with a dremel tool after the bench grinder. If you are losing pots you have the wrong abrasives and doing it to fast. I rarely loose any pot from grinding-But I also know when not to grind and throw away as its a lost cause .

Mark

Trying to recognize the losers first will go a long way, so I'll start there.

Thanks everyone

Jon

Guest JBaymore

Diamond wheel on angle grinder, diamond wet lap wheel, dremel with diamond bits, slow speed wet bench grinder with alumina stone.....depending on the job.

best,

..................john

Archived