Will Copper Carb And Rutile Make Blue, Or Am I Having A Senior Moment?

hershey8

I mixed up a small batch of Tony Hansen 20X5 ^6 glaze, and sprayed it on my bisqued ware.  

wollastonite   20

frit 3134        20

kaolin            20

silica              20

custer feld     20

3% copper carbonate

3% rutile

I expected to see a litter of green bowls when I opened the kiln lid. Instead, I was surprised to see that they were all a lovely mottled, medium blue.  One of the clay bodies used was red, one tannish, and one red with some white slip in places. The white slip now appears to be pale green, but everything else is that wonderful blue. Do you suppose, as I run headlong into the world of geezerdom, that I accidentally threw a little cobalt carb into the mix, or does copper and rutile just sometimes yield blue?

john

This is just spitballing, but...

Given that one of the main ingredients to a cone 6 floating blue is an iron bearing clay (Alberta slip) plus some frit and rutile, perhaps it's a reaction between the tan and red (iron bearing) clays and the glaze. Especially since the white slip is showing green.

Given that one of the main ingredients to a cone 6 floating blue is an iron bearing clay (Alberta slip) plus some frit and rutile, perhaps it's a reaction between the tan and red (iron bearing) clays and the glaze. Especially since the white slip is showing green.

I don't know about the iron. I don't think so-it will just make it dark.

I am looking at the wollastinite fluxing the copper.

TJR.

I will run some test tiles later. That should be telling. It was a pleasant surprise that I hope I can duplicate.

Archived