Photo

What clay to use for making yixing teapots and cups?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 agatha.gao

agatha.gao

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

紫砂 with the pronunciation of zi sha

#22 trina

trina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

I know you need a stoneware body that is very high in iron. I think that traditionally it only comes from a certain place in China. Not sure if the same kind of clay is available. T

#23 bigDave

bigDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSo-Cal

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

What kind of clay should I be using to make Yixing ware?
It looks like they usually use a dark brown clay.
Does it have to be dark brown or could I use white?
Also, it looks like the clay is pretty smooth (not a lot of grog or sand?) but the dark brown clays I find seem to all have grog/sand.

Pod,
Thats what Ive been searching for for also. I make bonsai pots and always looking for a commercial clay , thats high fire, smooth and dark brown.

So I made the pilgrimage to see the Chinese clay art guy in San Jose. Very interesting man. He was very happy to sell dark brown at around 3 $ a pound.. Ouch.

So I made some small pots and fired to cone 6. had the same trouble as was mentioned, bloating slumping . but texture and color was superb.

So now I use this "Precious" product as and engobe over various brown clays, has a nice smooth sheen at 6.

for casting Ive used Richard Notkins recipe, mostly redart clay with Iron and manganese, been a while, google him if interested.

Attached Files

#24 bigDave

bigDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSo-Cal

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

>Finally, I recommend you watch this video of an Yixing master demonstrating some of what he does for a British audience: http://www.essenceoftea.co.uk/blog

This is quite simply the best and most elegant hand building demo I have ever seen.

not seeing a demo...
?

#25 bigDave

bigDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSo-Cal

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

interestingbook...

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

#26 bigDave

bigDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSo-Cal

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Thats what Ive been searching for for also. I make bonsai pots and always looking for a commercial clay , thats high fire, smooth and dark brown.

any one have an idea on that one //?/

seems so simple,,,but

#27 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

You all realize what all of this tea talk is? It is a rebirth of the great 16th and 17th century tea debates! Are you all planning to meet for tea tastings? Don't forget someone must monitor, judge and keep the peace while sitting on a big fat silk pillow. Do not bring your swords they are not allowed!

You wouldn't think such a little innocuous leaf could create such furor. I really don't see why. And how come there are no sugar bowls and creamers in 'traditional' tea sets? Personally, I prefer Darjeeling. But please continue there is no telling where this will lead......

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#28 agatha.gao

agatha.gao

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

I know you need a stoneware body that is very high in iron. I think that traditionally it only comes from a certain place in China. Not sure if the same kind of clay is available. T

Yes, the place is in Yixin City, Jiangsu Province, China.

http://www.baike.com...ke.com/wiki/紫砂泥 here is the link about zisha clay, but its written in Chinese.

I think the stoneware body has very high in iron too. The clay contains rich iron clay, quartz, mica and also contains Fe.

#29 bigDave

bigDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSo-Cal

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

pogden and big dave want to talk clay not tea...(coffee shop owner in real life)

Actual yishing clay is imported by Chinese clay art, we have that established .. 182$ for 50 pounds.expensive

the question what in the USA could possibly substitute,

smmooth darkbrown at cone 6 burnishes nice ,joins with ease

#30 futurebird

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

Chinese Clay Art sells yixing clays online:
http://chineseclayar...e_materials.asp

I once bought a small amount of their black yixing clay. Although they call it "cone 6" clay, it bloated badly at cone 6. It was much better at cone 4.

Mea

I have been using their clay, and it's pretty good... but the colored clays are not very natural... Can anyone suggest some other sources for say... REAL duan ni clay? Once I get better at making teapots I would like to work with some of these finer clays.

I'm perfectly happy to pay a lot for them-- I get how rare they are.

I'm also curious about ANY alternatives... any clays that people have found that have the properties of yixing.

Thanks!

www.futurebird.com

#31 bigDave

bigDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSo-Cal

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Cool...

Going to cone 6 ? love to see them...pics?

#32 futurebird

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

Cool...

Going to cone 6 ? love to see them...pics?

The instructions say yes. Though, I have not fired anything yet!

I've posted about things I've made here. I am very much a beginner (don't get scared by the first photo... the clay is more wonderful that I can do justice to yet...)

http://ceramicartsda...yixing-teapots/

I really admire your bonsai pots. It's such an important artform. I think you'll love this clay.
www.futurebird.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users