What clay to use for making yixing teapots and cups?

podgen

You all realize what all of this tea talk is? It is a rebirth of the great 16th and 17th century tea debates! Are you all planning to meet for tea tastings? Don't forget someone must monitor, judge and keep the peace while sitting on a big fat silk pillow. Do not bring your swords they are not allowed!

You wouldn't think such a little innocuous leaf could create such furor. I really don't see why. And how come there are no sugar bowls and creamers in 'traditional' tea sets? Personally, I prefer Darjeeling. But please continue there is no telling where this will lead......

ç´«ç ‚ with the pronunciation of zi sha

I know you need a stoneware body that is very high in iron. I think that traditionally it only comes from a certain place in China. Not sure if the same kind of clay is available. T

Yes, the place is in Yixin City, Jiangsu Province, China.

http://www.baike.com/wiki/%E7%B4%AB%E7%A0%82%E6%B3%A5 here is the link about zisha clay, but its written in Chinese.

I think the stoneware body has very high in iron too. The clay contains rich iron clay, quartz, mica and also contains Fe.

pogden and big dave want to talk clay not tea...(coffee shop owner in real life)

Actual yishing clay is imported by Chinese clay art, we have that established .. 182$ for 50 pounds.expensive

the question what in the USA could possibly substitute,

smmooth darkbrown at cone 6 burnishes nice ,joins with ease

• 4 months later...

Chinese Clay Art sells yixing clays online:

http://chineseclayar...e_materials.asp

I once bought a small amount of their black yixing clay. Although they call it "cone 6" clay, it bloated badly at cone 6. It was much better at cone 4.

Mea

I have been using their clay, and it's pretty good... but the colored clays are not very natural... Can anyone suggest some other sources for say... REAL duan ni clay? Once I get better at making teapots I would like to work with some of these finer clays.

I'm perfectly happy to pay a lot for them-- I get how rare they are.

I'm also curious about ANY alternatives... any clays that people have found that have the properties of yixing.

Thanks!

Cool...

Going to cone 6 ? love to see them...pics?

The instructions say yes. Though, I have not fired anything yet!

I've posted about things I've made here. I am very much a beginner (don't get scared by the first photo... the clay is more wonderful that I can do justice to yet...)

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/topic/3998-im-trying-to-making-yixing-teapots/

I really admire your bonsai pots. It's such an important artform. I think you'll love this clay.

Archived