Pencil Boxes With Laser Transfer Images On Them

I have frequently mentioned my pencil boxes on the forum and have been meaning to post a picture of what exactly they are. I also added this picture as well as a picture of some of my trinket boxes and one of a couple medium boxes I had sitting around to my gallery. The pencil boxes also work as makeup brush, toothbrush, paintbrush or even silverware holders.

The pencil boxes are big sellers and super fast to make, I sell them for $10-15 depending on the design. A wrap design costs more and a design with handcolored elements costs even more. I have timed myself making these and I only handle each box for about 15 minutes total for the basic model. They are small enough to fit in a priority mail cube shaped box and ship for around $8 each.

I extrude the walls and slab roll the bottoms. Outsides are glazed a simple white and I limit the interior colors to either white, red, blue, or brown. They measure approximately 4 inches tall and 2 1/2 inches wide.

There is nothing fancy or super creative about these little open top boxes but people love to buy them for themselves as well as for gifts.

Terry

oldlady - I FINALLY remembered!

I used to throw little boxes for in the bathroom, or bedroom, change drops, bath oil beads, etc. They were so quick on the wheel, and at the same time decorated up pretty well with a little glazed and stencil spray through lace with an oxide wash or two. Great boxes are yours, handbuilding for me took too long for little things. I fussed over the seams and edges too much.

Pres.- that's why I loveusing the extruder for them.... There are no side seams just the bottom and that I have figured out by putting a piece of wood inside the "tube" I score the bottom edges and slip then tap the wood down on the bottom piece flip it over smooth the seam with my thumb and call it a done. No fuss no muss

Thank you all for the compliments these are simple fun and popular the happiness trifecta.

T

OLDLADY- I've actually been playing with a hinged box design. Using short tubes of clay attached to a slab. I am thinking I could get some nice wire and run it through the tubes connecting them for the hinge. I just haven't had time to test the design out to fruition.

The hinged boxes would have to be way more than these simple little open top boxes.

T

Rae - I did extruded mugs at first but people kept saying they were too small. I didn't think so but when you are told something repeatedly by various sources it kind of gets the point across. They held 8oz which I thought was more than enough but when I started throwing them I went with a 12oz mug and people almost unanimously picked up and bought the bigger mug. I tried a taller extruded mug but it just looked awkward. I recently got the expansion box for my extruder but the hollow dies for it are too big! Lol feel like goldilocks. I picked up a couple cheap poly cutting boards today and am going to try and make my very first extruder die from them. I got 2 since I don't exactly know what I am doing so I have to ruin and one to get right. I will let you all know how it goes.

T

Rae - I did extruded mugs at first but people kept saying they were too small. I didn't think so but when you are told something repeatedly by various sources it kind of gets the point across. They held 8oz which I thought was more than enough but when I started throwing them I went with a 12oz mug and people almost unanimously picked up and bought the bigger mug. I tried a taller extruded mug but it just looked awkward. I recently got the expansion box for my extruder but the hollow dies for it are too big! Lol feel like goldilocks. I picked up a couple cheap poly cutting boards today and am going to try and make my very first extruder die from them. I got 2 since I don't exactly know what I am doing so I have to ruin and one to get right. I will let you all know how it goes.

T

Hmmmm. Thinking that thick-walled extrusions could be bellied on the wheel, or by hand, after they get their bottoms, for volume. Personally, I use a smaller mug most of the time (except for traveling) because the coffee stays warm till I get to the bottom :)

Have fun with your experiments!

Archived