We actually can buy Loam in the pharmacy in Switzerland. It's against stomach problems and diarrhea. It's called "Healing Earth" and it's working wonderfully!! I hope the "concerned" parents are thinking of that too....

Another thought on the topic: teachers and workshop leaders should point out the rules to the students again and again. I just saw a picture on fb from a Symposium in Latvia where a few participants made an Obvara firing in T-Shirt, Capri pants and .... Flip-Flops! Really!!!! No safety gear whatsoever  :angry: 

A lot of risk assessment and safety rules are tailored to the lowest common denominator. One reason I will never ride a motorbike is because of everyone else on the road, I trust my own ability but not others. If I am alone in the studio then some rules will be overlooked because of the control I have over myself and my own reasoning of risk and reward. When other people become involved that's when I really start to worry about safety and wellbeing in the studio environment.

I had somebody in my studio who even though the kiln has a nice digital readout of the 1200c temperature and warned not to touch they just had to. Some singed fingers later and a lot of ice I think they were beginning to understand the dangers of hot kilns and just how warm they actually are. 

I think I do well with the essentials, especially within the context of a small home studio and small budget. Reading the literature (and John's posts) is helpful-there's no percentage in being willfully ignorant. It's great that there is so much more info available now compared to decades ago, so young potters can make informed life-choices. 

As a hobby potter, the biggest concern I have is buying a mask that fits my small face/head, and is comfortable to wear with specs.

When dremelling I wear a dust mask and a face shield.  The face shield doesn't come in a small size.  That's OK in the winter as I have to wear a hat to keep warm outside.  In the summer.......

I've tried a few brands of the disposable dust masks, I've yet to find any that are comfortable for more than 10 minutes, so mixing glazes/working with dry ingredients is a pain.

I had the same problems getting safety shoes that were small enough when I worked in an industrial unit.  As the IT trainer I often had to go see people in their work-place and safety equipment was a requirement.  Luckily the company paid the exorbitant costs for hard-to-find small sizes.  And I'm not that small, so how colleges/schools cope I really don't know.

I sponge down my small studio often while I'm working, and try not do anything with dry greenware except put it in the kiln.

Ann raises a good point about respirators needing to fit properly, especially for the ladies!! Safety respirators are designed largely for Caucasian men and their specific bone structure. Cheekbones and jaw lines matter! That said, this model I have found to have more thorough coverage and is lighter than some of the models available off the shelf at hardware and automotive stores. Price point is about the same as a box of clay. Keep it in a sealed zipper bag when not in use, and mind the expiry on the cartridges. They are available worldwide, folks.

http://www.amazon.com/Sundstrom-H01-2021-Half-Respirator-Silicone/dp/B005F9TJM6

I was lucky enough at one point to hear Monona Rossol give a talk, and I remember her being especially disgusted with disposable masks of all stripe in the use of ceramic materials. I believe the kindest thing she had to say about them was that they were a false sense of security.

Good point about the disposable masks. They (health department) sold us those when there was the avian influenza going around, a few years ago. I use them when doing plaster moulds, but I always have additional safety gear, and I work with the basement door to the outside wide open (and only if there is no wind). Maybe I exaggerate with the safety awareness, but better safe than sorry.

I have a question regarding black clay: I just worked for 4 weeks exclusively with black, Spanish clay. There is no product description on the packet, but I am 100 pro there is lots of manganese in the clay. Do you think scratching, trimming and sanding this clay is more hazardous than white or light stoneware clay?

Evelyne 

Guest JBaymore

Evelyne,

Read through this LABROTORY type Material Safety Data Sheet for general background from the scientist's views on handling this material:

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924585

A lot has to do with the particle SIZE of the manganese dioxide (black manganese) that is included in that body. Big (relative) stuff does not get airborne easily.  It is what is known as "the fines" in the material that are likely problematic for developing any airborne dust issues. 

As to ingestion, likely not an issue for you since you know what you are doing in a studio.

I think the 'interesting' part of this information is the skin contact information.

What is very "interesting" is how the above science oriented information compares to the following "studio ceramics" MSDS for the same material:

http://www.lagunaclay.com/msds/pdf/3rawmat/adry/mmandiox.pdf

An important thing to keep in mind when reading MSDSs is that the production of an MSDS by a company is done at the direction OF that company.  The formal governmental/legal review process of those MSDS documents in the arts field is, according to a source who should know, not all that rigorous.  I've seen MSDSs from some places that are so lacking information they are laughable.  But no one "calls" them on them.

So ......... caveat emptor.

Main issues with manganese dioxide are "chronic" ....meaning repeated long term exposure to even low levels.  Just a total guess here from a non-medical person.... but I think 4 weeks does not qualify for worrying too much.  :)

If I had to venture an educated guess on if it is MORE hazardous than a white or light body....... I'd have to say "yes".  BUT... and that is a big "but".......... likely statistically a small amount more. 

best,

....................john

John, thank you very much for the info and also for taking the time to write down your thoughts to my question. The black clay is Vicente Diez NT-Negro clay and is finely grogged (40% - 0-02mm). I have found a technical data sheet on the website of Vicente Diez. I include it here if I can find out how... 6,26% manganese dioxide - does that sound hazardous to you? I love the clay and, after my surgery, want to work more with it.

I just read in the MSDS "In case of contact, immediately flush skin with plenty of water" - how shall I work with the clay if I always have to wash my hands immediately after touching it?  :unsure:  (just kidding)

Awww the big BUT's ....

Evelyne

http://www.vdiez.com//uploads/catalogo/productos/29_es_pdf.pdf

Archived