Mc6 Varigated Blue

clay lover

Are you using this glaze from MC6 ?  I do and it always looks dull and where it is thin, an ugly dark gray, not what the book shows. On white clay it is better, but not the color the book shows.  Other glazes from that book I get good results with..  I do a slow cool  and have tried it on several different clays. How does yours look and what could I do to get the true color? 

Not read the book but my rutile blue has never come out looking the same. Rutile can sink to the bottom of a glaze very fast so make sure you mix it up well between glazing items. Seem to vary wildly based on thickness of glaze, thickness of clay and temperature. My glaze where thin does just look browny grey from the rutile/cobalt.

Made a few assumptions that this variegation is from rutile.

i have used this glaze and share your disappointment with it.  varigated SLATE BLUE is worse.  it is a matte surface and is not a pretty color.  several dog bowls resulted from its use. someday when i have absolutely nothing to do i might look at it again.

the odd thing is that the base glaze comes out a lovely, satin white.

noel, i love rutile in glazes and find no problems with it.  that slide-y hare's fur look is great in any color.

Archived