Weird Liquefied Slip ....

The first thought I had when I saw Fireborn was pottery. It's a great strong name even without the pottery connection. I empathize with you because my last name is a shortened version of my family's original name. My father and his two brothers legally changed it in the 1940's but weren't as creative as you and your family.

Paul

Joseph, I'm sorry that you were treated badly because if your name. How ridiculous and ignorant people can be!

My grandfather was from Romania and when my mom was growing up the idea was to be as much like everyone else as possible, as American as possible, so he didn't teach her the language or share much about his family, which means a huge piece of our family history is missing.

I find the origins of last names fascinating anyway. They used to identify who people really were much more than they do now. My sister and I were talking about it just last week and I said I'd like a really cool name like Giselle the Silvertongued or something like that and she started laughing and said, "No .... you know you'd just be Giselle Potter!"

Which means we're all kind of family, since we're all Potters. ;)

Don't feel sorry for me. The way I was treated made me a much better person. It allows me to never judge people without meeting them first, and I take up for the little guys out there. The thing is, if something is going to cause your kids grief and you can fix it before it does, why not do it right? I mean we can't protect them from everything, and he is still going to have issues and kids will always be mean, but one less thing is better than one more.

I find the origins of last names super interesting as well. The thing about it though is I don't really know anything about my ancestry. My side of the family is extremely small. My father doesn't know his father, and hes passed away now. My mothers side of the family I have never met, and I don't even know where my mom is anymore. I have an aunt, but she has no kids, and isn't married. 

My wife is adopted from Korea. She has a great family, but she feels that we shouldn't use that last name because she married me and she is pretty traditional, take on the man's last name and all. I was even up for using her last name... so we weren't really left with many options besides come up with our own. 

I think some of the last names out there are super cool. Some of the viking last names appealed a lot to me. A lot of the craftsman based last names are cool too, things like, shoemaker, etc.

Giselle Potter sounds pretty epic to me. 

I guess we should quit derailing thread now. lol..

In my school science department we had two teachers, one called Mr Dick and the other, Dr Ball... Not quite sure how Mr Dick ended up with that name but it was endless fun at school being able to call him that legitimately. I did always feel sorry for the higgenbottoms, not the best name to have.

Whoa, now I'm really scared to know the name of that counselor!!! Lol

Most unfortunate names I've ever known are: Festor, Fattor, Piggot, and Dingbat. The last was an elementary school teacher. I'm not making any of these up. We also know a Ball family, and one of the boys married a girl named Crystal.

Lol Joseph, I don't mind, this is extremely entertaining.

My question was answered awhile back. I dumped and remixed the slip and it's fine, although since I didn't add much vinegar it's already kind of smelly. I'm going to try the peroxide sugestion. Other than the smell it's fantastic.

We wanted a name that didn't have an origin or nationality. We also wanted a name that wasn't religious.

Hate to break it to you, but Fireborn might be a relative to the House Targaryen, which is very specific to a region, and even a bit of a religion...  (Game of Throne humor, for those confused.)

Also, your son will have one of the most awesome names I've ever heard.  But by name alone, you may have limited him to a life as a; rockstar, action hero or pro wrestler.

And is he wearing a gi in that photo?

Joseph, I'm sorry that you were treated badly because if your name. How ridiculous and ignorant people can be!

And sad we are still fighting the same terrible, terrible thing.

Neil: Well it used to just mean a bundle of wood. Maybe her ancestors were woodsmen? ;) 

Well these days, people just use shortened version of the longer word.  The latter was used to refer to those, who collected the "sticks".  Those people were usually elderly, mentally/ physically handicapped, etc.  So the word, over time, has been used to describe any group considered to be "lesser".  The homosexual community is just the latest to receive that label.

Archived