Timbear3

I am not aware of any parking meters in Humboldt County-I know there must be a few just not sure where they are?Yet alone what they would take-I'm sure they are not credit card meters-thats for sure.

Speaking of parking meters-=my favorite movie about them is Cool Hand Luke

Mark

After a few tests I am having a  problem with the terracotta  sheets now.  They are too fragile to handle even after being fired. I need the  terracotta porosity which it's perfect, but I need to start experimenting with ceramic clay that it is much firmer and harder than the terracotta. The problem with the ceramic it has no porous or very few and I need mainly that property on the clay. I’ll treasure any advise. Thanks

BTW, Rae, Judith and Flowerdry,  check the post #6 where I explain on what I am after with these  terracotta sheets. Mr. TJR  the tile pic I posted at the beginning is the one I made by myself without  any clay knowledge. The second pic  is the result after I learned how to work with the clay thanks to a good people there. And no Mr. Mark, I am not making any coins for frauds, you take a look also to the post #6 there is the answer. Thanks.

BTW, Rae, Judith and Flowerdry,  check the post #6 where I explain on what I am after with these  terracotta sheets. Mr. TJR  the tile pic I posted at the beginning is the one I made by myself without  any clay knowledge. The second pic  is the result after I learned how to work with the clay thanks to a good people there. And no Mr. Mark, I am not making any coins for frauds, you take a look also to the post #6 there is the answer. Thanks.

Well, Timbear3, that post #6 is not a lot of explanation. Are you trying to generate coolness through evaporation in a new way?

If you need porosity and strength and thinness, you may need to embed a mesh or fibers into the clay for strength.

Paperclay can give you greater firing strength, but I don't think the strength is retained after firing (I don't know if Fiberglas in paperclay would burn out?).

You could try embedding fine nichrome wires woven into a mesh into your sheets, unless you're working with electricity and the conductivity would be a problem.

Hi Timbear3, if you are going for evaporation cooling and you need thin and strong , you might need to model a honeycomb structure. The honeycomb scaffolding could be out of paper that you spray w layers of slip. Or you could sandwich w thin layers on either side of a latticework frame. You will have to incorporate some structure into it to give it strength. Also look to industry for solutions.they have usually done most of it already.

I see you are in Florida, so am i . I looked into evaporation cooling , but from my understanding it won't work in humid environments, which rules me out! The humidity doesn't allow for evaporation.

Have fun and good luck to you

Hi, Rae Reich and Jolieo, This is not an invention or a new idea Its just a way of entertainment in my retirement. My hobbies are electronic and mechanic and I love to get involved in any project. In reality is not the evaporation that I need from these thin ceramic clay sheets. What I need from these sheets is its evaporation property to transfer liquid throughout them. That’s all. As I stated at the beginning of the post, this is a new discipline for me and I need to learn from you guys all I can.

I am trying different types of clay and experimenting with some porous clay recipes. These sheets shouldn’t  have anything as structure only clay so it’s a matter of time and experimenting. I’ll keep you inform. Thanks

Archived