Haselle Copper technique

Hello I am new to raku firing, and I recently tried to glaze a piece with Hasselle CopperMatte. I found a recipe before I found this site, and it is the same recipe that this site has listed. When I fired it the result was just matt black. The technique we've been using is fire to 1850 then reduce in sawdust. From what I've read since then it seems that it should be fired to 1800 then brought down to a lower temperature before removing from the kiln? ALso, does the reduction technique make a huge difference on the result? For this particular glaze is in absolutely necessary to reduce in a trashcan? Also we use an electric kiln. Does it perhaps need to be gas?

Post firing reduction is very important in attaining the copper luster.

You don't have to use a garbage can but some metal container or brick container is needed.

I have done a method where we pulled a large sculpture from a kiln. Then we had a container with combustibles taped closed with a newspaper cover and we inverted it and quickly placed it over the sculpture. The newspaper held the combustible in the container long enough to cover the piece with the combustibles inside.

Marcia

So then the temperature and electric kiln are okay. Its just the reduction that is a problem?

Yes. Using an electric kiln may be hard on the elements. I use propane. I know many do use an electric kiln. I think the recovery time after removing pieces may be faster with gas if you are doing more than one batch.

Marcia

Archived