Liability Shift On Cc Coming Oct 1, 2015

Weird, we don't have anything like that in the UK. No way to take a payment without entering your pin, unless you swipe it or have the new wireless cards. Even then I tried to swipe my card a few days ago as the chip doesn't read too well and it wasn't an option on my card.

Sounds like your chips are a fancy magnetic swipe.

Joel you're showing your youth.  All our UK cards were once the same as this thread.  I remember when we first used PINs here and  went to France in 1996, we just used the cards with no signature, no PIN, no security at all.  Not really much we can help you guys with, PINs have been used here "for so long" it's just normal.  Having said that the only device I've used to enter my PIN has been a card reader in a shop.  Not sure how I'd feel entering my PIN into someone's phone.......

I remember being on holidays with the parents and always a slight worry about then taking carbon copies and security around that. I was only 6 in 1996 so had a long way to go before I ever owned a bank card  :)

now u r just rubbing it in  B)

Weird, we don't have anything like that in the UK. No way to take a payment without entering your pin, unless you swipe it or have the new wireless cards. Even then I tried to swipe my card a few days ago as the chip doesn't read too well and it wasn't an option on my card.

Sounds like your chips are a fancy magnetic swipe.

Joel you're showing your youth.  All our UK cards were once the same as this thread.  I remember when we first used PINs here and  went to France in 1996, we just used the cards with no signature, no PIN, no security at all.  Not really much we can help you guys with, PINs have been used here "for so long" it's just normal.  Having said that the only device I've used to enter my PIN has been a card reader in a shop.  Not sure how I'd feel entering my PIN into someone's phone.......

I remember being on holidays with the parents and always a slight worry about then taking carbon copies and security around that. I was only 6 in 1996 so had a long way to go before I ever owned a bank card  :)

now u r just rubbing it in  B)

You shouldn't feel sad for living a long life :D 

I just got this note from Intuit GoPayment:

"It is our priority to ensure that you have a smooth transition towards adopting EMV and we’re here to help you through that process. Rest assured that you have taken the first step towards being EMV compliant and that we have your order.

Unfortunately, the new mobile EMV readers are delayed; therefore we are providing you with a six-month extension on the October 1, 2015, EMV liability shift. Through March 31, 2016, we will assume the liability for counterfeit or stolen card-present fraud that occurs when you unknowingly process a counterfeit or stolen EMV chip card using your current magnetic stripe reader."

I had a feeling their chip reader would not be ready on time. Oh well, at least the liability shift is being pushed back for me too.

Any word on the other processors' chip readers, like Square or Amazon or PayPal?

I just got this note from Intuit GoPayment:

"It is our priority to ensure that you have a smooth transition towards adopting EMV and we’re here to help you through that process. Rest assured that you have taken the first step towards being EMV compliant and that we have your order.

Unfortunately, the new mobile EMV readers are delayed; therefore we are providing you with a six-month extension on the October 1, 2015, EMV liability shift. Through March 31, 2016, we will assume the liability for counterfeit or stolen card-present fraud that occurs when you unknowingly process a counterfeit or stolen EMV chip card using your current magnetic stripe reader."

I had a feeling their chip reader would not be ready on time. Oh well, at least the liability shift is being pushed back for me too.

Any word on the other processors' chip readers, like Square or Amazon or PayPal?

Square is offering liability shift protection upon reserving their "Contactless and Chip Reader" device which is "Coming Soon" and supposedly due this Fall.  Fine print: you must follow their best practices to qualify for the protection which, as far as I can tell, means you need to (1) swipe the card, (2) have the customer sign for the transaction and make sure the signature matches the back of the card (if the card is unsigned, you need to confirm signature with a govt issued id and have them sign the card) and (3) provide the customer with a receipt. Square makes the determination if you followed their best practices.   Also, if they start a chargeback investigation, you need to provide them with supporting documentation within 7 days after they notify you.  Miss your documentation deadline and you miss out on the protection. 

Details here:  https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5624-liability-shift-protection

Some helpful background info here: https://squareup.com/townsquare/6-myths-about-the-liability-shift/

Archived