Unknown Raw Glaze Ingredients

Make a test tile, with dimples for each ingredient.  Label carefully.  Fire at ^06 the ^6 and see what happens.  That will sort the refractorys from the fluxes.  I was lucky that everything I was given was labelled, but some of those are suspect.

Good Luck.

I have inheritied several large bags of unlabled glaze ingredients with many that were labeled. Is there anyway to test what they may be? Is there a lab that could test without it costing more than the 50 lbs of ingredient that is inside the bag? Any help would be appreciated!

any marks or numbers on the bag??Like for example c-30

these marks may be on the bottom or side of bag

Mark

Do a button test with the unknown stuff, it gives you a starting point to start eliminating what it isn't. I have done button tests on most of my feldspars, kaolins etc. It gives you a good base to test your materials every time you get a new bag. Good luck, I'm still working through a few final bags of stuff I inherited 10 years ago! Fun stuff!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses. We will try the button tests and see how we do. The mystery materials are in large plastic bags. No original wrappers anywhere! Once we have a match with know buttons, will try a small batch of glaze using the unknown material as the substitute ingredient and if it works, we are good to go.

Archived